Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I need a Partition Table?  (Read 7646 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    Do I need a Partition Table?
    « on: March 02, 2019, 08:43:34 AM »
    I had made many partitions before, but never thought about the partition table.
    I am about to format a 2Tb HD that I'll use only for backing up media. It'll be used by Linux Mint 19, and Windows 10.
    I am using Gparted in LM. So I see I can go ahead and create a new Partition. But I can also see in the Device menu that I can make a Partition Table too. Now I'm wondering: Should I make a PT, then do the partitions?
    Or will a PT be made automatically when I make a partition?
    Or a PT is not strictly needed but it's better to have?

Thank you guys!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Do I need a Partition Table?
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
    One can use a Hard Dorie without a palpation table.
    However, the OS you use does indeed read from table.
    In simple  terms, a table is a small data connection that points to where more data can be found.
    To use a metaphor, Can you eat in a eatery without looking at the menu?  :)

Hard drives without partition tables are used in some industrial applications. Off the top on my head I can not recall which industries do that.

The current standard is the GPT for hard drives. Before that, the MBR was used.
    Here is an article of interest:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-an-mbr-disk-into-a-gpt-disk
    Master Boot Record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than two terabytes (TB).
    Does that help any?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Do I need a Partition Table?
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »
    "Create Partition Table" is either necessary before creating partitions or possibly is an operation that is performed automatically when you create partitions. It is the equivalent to Windows Disk Management's "Initialize Disk" command(s). It is a separate option because it may in some cases be desirable to create the partition table without actually creating any partitions.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.