Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New laptop purchase  (Read 3314 times)

kzahner

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New laptop purchase
    « on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
    I am needing a new laptop. I am a senior who uses internet for shopping and answers to questions for around the house repairs. I play simple games such as Scrabble, card games and Criminal case.  I am looking at an  HP 2019 Newest HP 17 17.3" HD+. Will this suffice for my simpler usage. I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite that is nearly ten years old. Time to move up in the world.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New laptop purchase
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
    Hi

If it is this one https://www.amazon.com/HP-1600x900-i5-7200U-BlueTooth-Ethernet/dp/B07KTLGQ4R
    Then yes it will be more than enough for running the things you are doing. I would have liked to see it with a solid state hard drive which  is quite hard to change in this model.
    What about this one  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KMYKD4D/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KMYKD4D&pd_rd_w=0xAcj&pf_rd_p=733540df-430d-45cd-9525-21bc15b0e6cc&pd_rd_wg=INBxh&pf_rd_r=KF0QV5WAHB6FHA9RPBK2&pd_rd_r=90a47acb-3961-11e9-adab-476bc8823d07
    Specified with  a 256 GB ssd instead of the 1 tb mechanical drive.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:16:47 AM »
    For the things you list that you do with your laptop, virtually ANY laptop you buy would suffice since none of the tasks are particularly demanding.

kzahner

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
      Thank you for your input. I went with the one I had questioned. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a boat anchor. The price for it new after discounts came to $484.00. I thought that was good for a new laptop. Anxious to receive and start using.

J_Brown

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
        If you have no serious requirements for the laptop, pay attention to the quality of the materials and the screen. For example, I prefer HP laptops for their materials, but their common problem is overheating. At the same time, there are 17-inch entry-level ASUS laptops which are made from quite cheap plastic but have almost perfect cooling system. So, as the technical data is not such important, you can just go to the shop and by something that would be suitable for you according to your budget.