Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what to delete or not  (Read 2386 times)

BellaUSA

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    what to delete or not
    « on: March 09, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
    In control panel programs & features ; so full of stuff, what to delete or keep ? Not even sure what some of it is ! And AVG-I deleted this program, yet it seems to be here yet. How do you get rid of any program that doesn't seem to leave ?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: what to delete or not
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
    1) Unless your hd is full (or close to full), there is no need to uninstall anything.
    2) Unless you have another anti virus installed, why would you delete AVG?
    3) When you say you "deleted" a program, may I assume you actually uninstalled it?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: what to delete or not
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
    If AVG was uninstalled properly then it should be gone. Only seen the problem with it remaining when someone has gone to the installation location and manually deleted the program without uninstalling it in the control panel.

I also am wondering why you uninstalled a program that would protect you from malware/virus infections. Without it your system can get infected with malware or a virus.

If you have the system recovery media, it might be a good idea to backup whatever important data you have to an external drive or cloud storage and then perform a clean reinstall of the OS so the computer is like new from factory. If this computer is a custom built system then back up data to external drive or cloud storage and then wipe the system clean and perform a clean install to undo whatever problems you created by removing programs that should be left alone unless you know what they are and what your doing.