Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help creating a batch file to change multiple folder icons in Win 10  (Read 3534 times)

DaBooch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Hey all. I recently upgraded to Win 10. On my old 7 setup, in my movie collection folder, the movie folder icons were images of the movies renamed to "folder". Everything worked well. Since the upgrade, Windows 10 crops the images named "folder" and it no longer works well. I have decided to replace the technique of using a jpg renamed "folder" to actually using icons of the movies. My issue is that I have hundreds of folders that I would like to apply this to. As of right now, I am moving the .ico into the folder, right clicking and going through he process of changing the icon for that folder. This will take me months. I was wondering if anyone here has an idea for a batch file that would look in the folder for an .ico file and, if there is one, replace the default windows icon for that folder with the one I have moved in there.

I am only in the process of getting the icons as we speak. Previously on Win 7, I had jpgs in each folder and just renamed the jpgs to "Folder". Worked well, but Win 10 crops them noticeably. I was hoping to put the .ico's in each respective folder (DeviantArt has incredible ones) to avoid having to rename them. I was looking to get a batch file to rewrite the .ini in each folder to change the regular folder icon to the new one (instead of right clicking for days).

Right now, I can right click the folder, properties, customize, change icon, and browse to the movie.ico that I placed in that folder and the folder image will change. I just don't want to have to do that 1600 times to change all of the icons. I have placed each of the *.icos in their respective folder and want to change the desktop.ini file by batch, if possible. Currently, when I change the icon by the method above, the newly generated dekstop.ini file looks like this...

[.ShellClassInfo]
    IconResource=D:\Movies\The Name of the Movie\The Name of the Movie.ico,0

Many thanks in advance.