Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It shows I have internet connection but will not connect  (Read 2990 times)

alanh01

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    It shows I have internet connection but will not connect
    « on: April 26, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
    I have a DELL Dimension 4100 desktop. It is hard-linked into the router. The router is a Linksys WRT 1900AC. I have no problems with the other computers connection. The DELL shows I have a connection and the speed is 100.0 Mbps. When I start-up IE 6.0, it will not load. It would say, "page cannot be displayed". I'm using Windows XP Professional with service pack 2. How do I fix this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: It shows I have internet connection but will not connect
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
    You need to have the latest update to Windows XP. SP-3.
    At some point there was a change, but I don't remember it. Anyhow, the latest  update should fix it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
    You will also want to get the last version of Firefox or Chrome that supported XP and install that and use that instead of IE. However you may also notice that some websites will complain that the browser is out of date and fail to work with it.

I have pretty much retired my Windows XP systems from Internet use due to the fact that nothing works that i need to use them for online anymore. It all started with Flash Games no longer working because they give an error to install the latest version of Adobe Flash and Adobe dropped support for XP, so there are no updates to getting the games to work with XP. Then other issues with sites started to show with pages loading partially as mainly content like flash was out of date etc.

My XP computers are pretty much shut off these days and saved for offline gaming of older games that have a fit with newer hardware. Although one of the games such as Diablo 1 just recently became available on GoG and it works no with Windows 10, so an even lesser need to turn on the Windows XP system anymore.

alanh01

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
      I'll try all that. Thanks, everyone.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
      It's most likely you are not getting DNS resolved , Like you are wanting google and the computer is unable to get the ip address for google. To confirm use an IP address not a name , googles ip is 172.217.167.68 so type that number into the browser address line. You should see Googles home page, if you can search for things then it is a dns setting. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan