Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ideapad P580 wifi will not work after a fresh install of win 7  (Read 3147 times)

mgreen66

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi, I have reinstalled win 7 on a Lenovo Ideapad P580 and the WiFi adapter will not work. It is turned on in bios, it is turned on in windows and installed the latest driver but  I cannot get it to work. I cant even see the icon in the tray. Please help. This is the 2nd Lenovo to do this to me and I couldn't get the last one to work either.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ideapad P580 wifi will not work after a fresh install of win 7
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »
    2nd to do this? So you returned the first computer and got a replacement and it has the same issue?

One low cost solution may be to buy a USB Wireless Adapter for around $15 to fix this, however if you bought this computer and its covered by a warranty of some kind, i would exercise the warranty to have the seller fix the issue or give money back.

mgreen66

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
      Thank you for your response. No I didn't return and buy another. I repair computers and this is the second Lenovo that I have reinstalled win 7 on that has done this. Wireless was working perfectly prior to the reinstall of win 7. This case was one of going from win 10 back to win 7.. (clients orders). This other Lenovo was a straight up reinstall of win 7. I have done many of these and Lenovo is the only one that I have had do this.

UPDATE:
      I have fixed the issue. I ended up using a program called Driver pack solutions and it installed a driver that was not listed with the drivers intended for this machine. It worked client is happy and I got paid.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
      Thank you for letting us know what fixed the problem.

Just as an aside,

The lenovo you were working on had the option of 3 different wireless adapters. There was the way you fixed it using DRP which is a great tool. Be very careful to only load the drivers not all the other "helpful" tools it seems to want to add. Check the list of what it is installing not once but 2 times. The author also supplies the drivers as a 9 GB download which you can run from a pen drive.

But please note above if you don't want Opera browser driver tool antivirus and others deselect them and then check they are deselected.

If you are having issues getting Lenovo's working, use the Lenovo solution center for diagnostics and Lenovo system updater to get the the most up to date  drivers.  Which is downloadable from here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds104501

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

mgreen66

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »
        lol yes I found out that tid bit the hard way. The first time I used it I had a bunch of Russian crap infiltrating my browser and other facets of the computer. I have since found out how to use it correctly. It is still my last dash at a fix but I keep it on hand for just such an occasion.