Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Alternative Drives Possibly???  (Read 2380 times)

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Alternative Drives Possibly???
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:25:41 AM »
 ???
Can anyone enlighten me on what these Drives are and what roll they play in computing? ???
What is a Media Cache Drive and roll?
What is a Scratch Drive and roll?
What is a Caching Drive and roll?
What is a Cache Drive and roll?
 ???

Thanks to anyone who can crack the brick I have for a head. ;D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:43:26 AM by TEC2LRN »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Alternative Drives Possibly???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
Is there an article or something that pointed you to this terminology?

Looking at the wiki, I found Scratch Space and statement of "Scratch space is commonly used in graphic design programs". Remembers your other post about 1080p so I guess you saw it somewhere in relation to that.

Computers Cache information as well as Drives are used for temporary storage to assist the systems memory (RAM) with an additional space to write information and read it back in whats known as swap space as well as paging space.

Google searched this stuff and found Scratch Space which is probably the Scratch Drive you were mentioning.

Scratch Drive = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_space

I am totally lost with what you have stated with "and roll" to these. Not sure what the Roll is referring to. :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
All Bunk...waste of time
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »
Is there an article or something that pointed you to this terminology?

Looking at the wiki, I found Scratch Space and statement of "Scratch space is commonly used in graphic design programs". Remembers your other post about 1080p so I guess you saw it somewhere in relation to that.

Computers Cache information as well as Drives are used for temporary storage to assist the systems memory (RAM) with an additional space to write information and read it back in whats known as swap space as well as paging space.

Google searched this stuff and found Scratch Space which is probably the Scratch Drive you were mentioning.

Scratch Drive = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_space

I am totally lost with what you have stated with "and roll" to these. Not sure what the Roll is referring to. :-\

Thanks for the response and for checking around a bit DaveLembke 8)

By roll, I meant, what is their purpose, though it may be self explanatory to most but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it. ???

Here is a video relating to some of the things I speak of;    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7zI7MYSY_0&t=89s

I would like to put all my Software on the OS SSD and Write to other Drives.

Again Thank You DaveLembke :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:07:19 PM by TEC2LRN »

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
All Bunk...waste of time

Thanks For your response patio 8)

I guess it may be all bunk a waste of time. ???
Please explain why it is all bunk a waste of time. :-\

Again Thank You patio :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:09:59 PM by TEC2LRN »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:49 AM »
Used by Adobe Premiere for temporary files.
Used by Adobe Photoshop for temporary files. Also a few other programs. Basically they allow you to configure the location they will use for Temporary files, instead of using the temporary files folder.

What is a Caching Drive and roll?
What is a Cache Drive and roll?
Same as above. These are also the same.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
Used by Adobe Premiere for temporary files.Used by Adobe Photoshop for temporary files. Also a few other programs. Basically they allow you to configure the location they will use for Temporary files, instead of using the temporary files folder.
Same as above. These are also the same.

Thanks for responding , BC_Programmer 8)

"Used by Adobe Premiere for temporary files.  Also a few other programs"
Other programs? :-\ I have searched CyberLink info. for Power Director 16 on the creation of temporary files and so on, if the information is there I'm still missing it, I'll check again.  :P

"Basically they allow you to configure the location they will use for Temporary files, instead of using the temporary files folder."
Is this like creating a Temporary Files folder on another drive other than the default Temporary Files folder on drive C the OS drive?

Thought/Questions:
So I shoot some footage/files with a camera/video camera and install it onto the computer but I don't put the files on the OS+Software Drive C, I put all the video files on (Drive D, 4TB HDD Storage) and work on the files on (Drive E, Video Editing/Working Files). Is there a Scratch Drive here? ??? Is there a Media Cache Drive here? ???

Again Thank You, BC_Programmer :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
Do you mean role?

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
Do you mean role?

Salmon Trout 8)

Yes I meant/mean role! ;D

Thanks Salmon Trout :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:54:44 PM by TEC2LRN »

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
?

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »
?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:47:49 PM »
You need to settle down...this isn't always live. The Volunteers here come and go so relax a bit...willya ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
You need to settle down...this isn't always live. The Volunteers here come and go so relax a bit...willya ? ?

Check :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
Other programs? :-\ I have searched CyberLink info. for Power Director 16 on the creation of temporary files and so on, if the information is there I'm still missing it, I'll check again.  :P
They call the place they store temporary files and cache information (eg. Processed video content for say previews) a Media Cache drive. I'm not sure what you expect to find in the manual. They aren't going to outline how they create temporary files otherwise.

Is this like creating a Temporary Files folder on another drive other than the default Temporary Files folder on drive C the OS drive?
Kind of. However The Temporary Files folder (%TEMP%) points at one specific location and applies to all applications. Video editing software (and a few other types of software) create very large files for temporary use and the speed that they can be accessed directly impacts performance, so applications provide options for changing them if the defaults cause performance problems.

So I shoot some footage/files with a camera/video camera and install it onto the computer but I don't put the files on the OS+Software Drive C, I put all the video files on (Drive D, 4TB HDD Storage) and work on the files on (Drive E, Video Editing/Working Files). Is there a Scratch Drive here? ??? Is there a Media Cache Drive here? ???

Certain applications create very large temporary files which are accessed by the software and which directly impact the performance of the application. and as a result they allow the location to which those temporary files are stored to. That's it. There is no such thing as a "scratch drive" or a "Media cache drive" as actual physical things a computer has. These are just whatever term the application developer(s) have decided to label it's "custom"  temporary files location setting. They typically don't need to be drives and they most certainly don't need to be mutually exclusive with one another.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
They call the place they store temporary files and cache information (eg. Processed video content for say previews) a Media Cache drive. I'm not sure what you expect to find in the manual. They aren't going to outline how they create temporary files otherwise.

Kind of. However The Temporary Files folder (%TEMP%) points at one specific location and applies to all applications. Video editing software (and a few other types of software) create very large files for temporary use and the speed that they can be accessed directly impacts performance, so applications provide options for changing them if the defaults cause performance problems.

Certain applications create very large temporary files which are accessed by the software and which directly impact the performance of the application. and as a result they allow the location to which those temporary files are stored to. That's it. There is no such thing as a "scratch drive" or a "Media cache drive" as actual physical things a computer has. These are just whatever term the application developer(s) have decided to label it's "custom"  temporary files location setting. They typically don't need to be drives and they most certainly don't need to be mutually exclusive with one another.

Thanks BC_Programmer 8)

That's probably why I can't find it. ;D

Okay ;)

I assume this would be on the C drive and if so should I leave it be or move to another drive? :-\

Again Thank You BC_Programmer :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:12:42 PM by TEC2LRN »