Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I delete the default logon user (Microsoft Account) ghost ?  (Read 8343 times)

flying_ant

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello All

Got a new little PC yesterday and set it up.  Windows 10 Prof 64 bit.

It had the Hello screen thing and wanted me to create a PIN, but it insisted that I use a Microsoft Account and I couldn't seem to avoid it - so I did - and it created a user which I didn't want.  (I've installed W10 several times and never got stuck like this - first time I've seen the PIN thing)

I then created two local users, one Admin, which I did want. 

I thought I was left with just my two and I did delete a folder eg Fred, which was created without my knowing - and I thought had no user remaining.

(I believe I have spotted something since about a formal way to convert to local.  I didn't use that formal route.  It wasn't the name I wanted anyway.   I just created my own)

Anyway, if I reboot, it thinks there are 3 user accounts and it defaults to Fred (the MS A/c) but complains it can't log on and asks for a pswd or pin - which I haven't got.  I've tried all sorts but I can't log on through it and I can't reset it.  I just want to get rid of it !

I can still log on as Admin and that's fine.  I can Win+L to switch user and then I'm am only offered a choice of my two accounts, which is just what I want.  It forgets Fred when switching users for some reason.  (Why only when booting does Fred appear ??)

If I reboot, it sees the 3 again ...

I know Fred exists in the registry under Winlogon as the DefaultUserName.  Changing that name in the registry to my name didn't lose it from the logon screen ... it just meant I still had 3, 2 of which had the same name when rebooting.  So I have changed Winlogon back to Fred.

So, how can I make it forget about Fred ?  I just want my std user to be the default and then use Admin when necessary.

Any advice greatly appreciated   :-[

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: How can I delete the default logon user (Microsoft Account) ghost ?
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
    Take a look at the following link about deleting unused user accounts. Maybe that might help you. Good luck

https://www.techbout.com/delete-user-accounts-windows-10-14722/