Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I change SD card drive letter?  (Read 6850 times)

yulan

Can I change SD card drive letter?
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
I did research and tried to "click Start . In the Search field, type Partition. Then click Create and format hard disk partitions. ..." however, there is no "Create and format..." line in my case, it does has a pop-up window saying "... cannot activate Virtual Disk Service (VDS)... or connection is blocked by Windows firewall...". I then tried to turn off Windows firewall from Control Panels, but the result is the same. Or, if there is another way to change the drive letter, will be likely better. I want to use the same SD card to both my desktop and netbook, I need them to be the same letter but they are not, one is F and one is H, both Windows 7.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can I change SD card drive letter?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
To have a card/SSD/HDD retain the same drive letter between machines you need to give it a Volume Label...this is done thru Disk Management....
NOTE don't pick an early letter if you have multiple drives...start at M
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yulan

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
I feel like I'm doomed then, since no other way to change it :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
HuHH ? ?  Did you try what was suggested ? ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
Patio, they buried the lede on this one- the title talks about changing the SD Card Drive letter- but their OP then mentions how their Disk Management is inaccessible (Cannot connect to Virtual Disk Service)- they have much bigger problems than wanting to change the SD Card drive letter.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
OP then mentions how their Disk Management is inaccessible (Cannot connect to Virtual Disk Service)- they have much bigger problems than wanting to change the SD Card drive letter.

I am just curious... is there no functional disk management on both computers or is it just one of them that has the issue OP is mentioning in his original post???

If one device has working disk management, then do the drive letter change process on that functional computer. Then go try to figure out the issue of why virtual disk service can't work issue and all that as described in original post.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
Sorry BC...i read it too fast. He could try a Repair Install maybe...

yulan

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
Do you mind me asking, but I don't know what these means: they, buried the lede, OP, and what is Repair Install?

I can find Disk Management in the desktop (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) which is now died anyway, so forget it. I cannot find Disk Management on my current netbook (Windows 7 Starter 32-bit), I only see "disk rebuild" and "disk clean up", it has no search field in the Start Menu at all, but I browse through accessory > system tools > no disk management oops

I guess Repair Install is install the system/Windows again from CD-ROM, I think I have a CD-ROM come with the netbook, but how can I boot it with CD drive? I guess is to press and hold which key(s) while power on?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
Win7 starter does not have disk management i believe...you can do what i suggested on another PC...

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
I guess Repair Install is install the system/Windows again from CD-ROM, I think I have a CD-ROM come with the netbook, but how can I boot it with CD drive? I guess is to press and hold which key(s) while power on?

Repair install is when you boot to windows and then run the windows setup through windows to basically do a fresh installation of windows without touching your current settings, files, apps, etc. to try to fix windows issues before you go the reformat/clean install route.

Check out this information direct from the MS site:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista-windows-7-windows