Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Auto restart many times, please help  (Read 2287 times)

yulan

Auto restart many times, please help
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:50:56 AM »
Desktop PC auto restart while in use, then in the progress of booting up, it restart again, and again, and again... so frequent that not able to reach Windows sign in screen, I turned it off now, sending this message with a netbook. Now I have two options in mind, fix it or buy a new one. I want to ask, if I un-screw it and take the power unit out, and buy a new one based on its size, can problems be solved then? I'm worrying that, the problem is not in the power unit, but something or somewhere else. I do not want to take it to repair shop again. Please give me any suggestion.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Auto restart many times, please help
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:11:48 AM »
    Yulan you might try to purchase a simple power supply tester like this one for about $5. They are in Asia/China/Taiwan etc & delivery may an issue, speed wise, however you might find a local one that could deliver quicker.

Seeing your thinking of digging into the case/power supply yourself, this may assist providing a quick diagnostic without a total removal.

Sensibly you would disconnect the power supply from the wall before opening the case & tinkering within. Personal Safety is key to getting inside a computer.

Yulan, another source of problems relating to restarting, I've found, were related to the heat sink cream on the chip itself having dried out & the chip overheats. How old is the unit?

One way I have used to cool a computer is to have a small fan aimed at the unit maybe with something to lift the case up from the desk surface to give a good airflow. Using something like a couple of textas or magic markers some ashtrays etc should be enough. ( Not a box )

See where that gets you. Hope my suggestions are of value to you.

It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

[email protected]

Greenhorn
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
      Desktop PC auto restart while in use, then in the progress of booting up, it restart again, and again, and again... so frequent that not able to reach Windows sign in screen, I turned it off now, sending this message with a netbook. Now I have two options in mind, fix it or buy a new one. I want to ask, if I un-screw it and take the power unit out, and buy a new one based on its size, can problems be solved then? I'm worrying that, the problem is not in the power unit, but something or somewhere else. I do not want to take it to repair shop again. Please give me any suggestion.

My guess is you have a corrupted driver / drivers ..  or data " services " not loading .. or a virus. Try to boot into safe mode without network. If you can use the PC in safe mode and it has no trouble booting, run your virus scan, then try to repair the OS with the OS disk.

If this is too much .. just put the OS disk in during bootup and repair the OS. Be sure to leave the disk in the drive when restarts occur. See what happens
      X1 turns ON, K10 to VAR1 (device: D0).

rosbert

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
        If you have the installation disk for your Windows, try to boot from it. From there, you can find the Startup Repair tool in the advanced options.
        i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 32GB ram | atturo

yulan

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:59:55 AM »
        Thank you for your comment Guru, you mentioned heat sink cream, I suspect that should be the problem, the Acxr is brought 2011, after died in 2016, it's left untouched, after then the Sxmsxng netbook becomes my main for all these years, I mentioned (in other thread) its slow the whole system, but I didn't say I don't like it, I love it, the netbook is brought earlier and everything is still all right until now (except the "Ctrl" key problem mentioned in other topic), sometimes or many times I left it operated more than 10 hours no problem, and under environment with no air-condition. Interestingly the desktop I never left it that long, but died quick with less usage.

I watched videos of people replacing the heat sink cream on Xbox or Playstation, so the PC should be similar, and that there is no way I can have it done, never, even professional its not an easy job. Yes exactly, before the desktop auto restart itself (trying to restart but never able to make it success), the case is very hot even for a short operation time, so that should be it.

First time seeing or knowing a power supply tester, no idea how to use it, I don't think it's the problem anyway because I actually do have another experience, similar or same symptom, but thanks again. Before the two PCs, I brought a shop-build one desktop GXR in 2009, no high requirement to me its for simple things like converting CD to MP3, burning CD VCD etc., audio mix up. That one the shop listed it 5 years warranty, while it died less than 5 months, and you call him, the shop is closed and asking for fee... oh before that happen, before shop close, the PC auto shut down and no power again, have it repaired for me, shortly later it happen again, and call him and closed. THEN, I brought a new power unit myself and it looks professional so that should be the ultimate solution, I thought, it's bigger that I have to left the case open and place the power unit besides or outside the main case. But, shortly later, it auto restart just like this time last week, it's on and off feeling like not enough power but no impossibale it's brand new and high-end.

Back to the Acxr, it died after a pop sound and smell while power on in 2016. It left untouched until recently I applied a Unity mobile game design course, and I found out the 32-bit netbook with atom CPU is likely not enough. Sent it to repair shop, spend 400 and it turn out I only used it like 4 times... they steal the front plate of it (covering the front USB and SD card slot) and that offense me the most, of course he wouldn't say steal, but lost it, but how can it be gone in just 2 days. I am very suspect that, the pop sound in 2016 caused only a small chip to die, or it dies so it pop, should be not the power unit problem while the shop say replaced one ordered one for me, power unit, however in any way I see I feel I think they simply make it more worse, worse like the GXR which is a clear lie and the "5 years warranty" is a big hint, only that I were too stupid, maybe still am huh.

Thanks Mark and Rosbert, the problem is bigger I am afraid, but I did not stayed it clearly before, when it auto restart, it's not restart, it's like power lost and back, and lost and back, until it's lost and no power at all, but, it could light up again by chance.

[email protected]

Greenhorn
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
          I really doubt it is related to heat issues. If the paste or CPU is overheating, there would be a down time between reboots .. not every time .. but most of the time. I don't know but your MB probably has an alarm chime for CPU overheating and overheating protections .. Check your fans too, are they spinning slow ? or do they smell funny ? .. When rebooting .. take off the case access panel and discharge yourself. Put your hand into the desktop and feel for the heat. Nothing should feel overly hot. If you have a multi meter use it.

Nine times out of 10 .. When problems as described occur, it's the result of corrupted data, bad connections, driver issues, or Gremlins. Rarely is overheating or power supply problems the issue unless ... you bought a $20.00 PSU. CPUs are very hard to kill due to built in saftey on today's hardware. I have every piece of hardware I've ever bought for home computers since the mid 1980s. I've only had two PSU units go bad, 2 GPUs .. a HD4890, and and a eVGA Ti .... and some fans and one Asus P5N PCIex16 slot. That's it. I still have them as I repaired them.

X1 turns ON, K10 to VAR1 (device: D0).

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:46:08 PM »
          In regards the Acer small form factor computer being from 2011. These computers suffered from bad capacitors which look like the components circled .
          When capacitors fail like that they cause a heavy load on the power supply which causes the power supply to keep restarting. It's not really possible or worth replacing these parts.
          You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan

yulan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »
          Thank you Mark, thank you Lisa, I have given up, since I don't want to take it to repair again nor I know nothing about hardware, the Acxr is now left untouch again, maybe one day it need to be trashed after taken out the harddisk, like those many computers before, I have many harddisk collection by the way, at least 3 or 4, including one from PS3 oh, it's the first model piano black, good looking but no space at home. I think now I tend not to save important files on internal harddisk, but if not important you wouldn't need to save it anyway oops.

Capacitors, so they are the real problem of source, or source of problem, likely not heat sink cream then because I think my PS3 died no cream (according to many yutube videos) but it did not restart (or re-poweron) itself. It's good to know or learn the problem, thanks again, even though not my level of knowledge to solve it.

I don't know how to or what is discharge myself, but anyway, the case was very hot enough back then, even for short operation time like one hour or less. Actually I forget to mention, before it dies, there was a few times or many times when I turn it on, it has the light (on the case) but no screen no keyboard light no mouse light, no harddisk sound, only the fan noise, like it wouldn't do anything but only powered the fan. When it happens, it often happens before die, I power it off, then back on after some minutes, then it has like 50% chance to startup normally with a beep sound, 50% (or higher) do nothing but activated only the fan, no beep sound. I don't know what is PSU too. I do know game console has GPU (which are doomed to die because of the heat sink cream dry out :X according to my unprofessional suspect)