Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My PC screen blacks out during multiplayer games, becoming unresponsive  (Read 6523 times)

BlackoutWin10

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I use Windows 10 64-bit and play with Integrated Graphics (Intel) and I encounter a problem where during playing multiplayer video games, the screen turns black, I can hear the game music playing but not the sound effects and remains the same. Sometimes I can see the mouse pointer, but can't move it, sometimes I can't see the mouse pointer. The PC stays that way forever, does not respond to pressing Windows key, Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Nothing. I have to restart it. Previously this screen turning black problem occured for 3 seconds then the game resumed. This wasn't favorable either as this way I couldn't be competitive at all. Again, this happens in multiplayer games, I did not encounter this problem in single player.
    The solutions I found and tried for this were: Firstly set the Intel HD Graphics options to "maximum performance", set the same in Windows power settings (so it wouldn't enter energy save mode), turned on VSync in game, uninstalled graphics driver then installed it manually from Intel website, finally running the game in Compatibility mode. None of them helped. There is no problem either with my Internet Connection and my monitor doesn't have FreeSync or GSync. I don't think that it's overheating as I played demanding games with this same Integrated Graphics in single player and didn't encounter the screen turning black.

Some more:
    The game runs nice until it comes a point where it blacks out. Don't think it's an overheating problem because previously this was a 3 second blackout, plus this is a desktop not a laptop so it has good airflow.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Hi

Seems it is one multi player game only and at one point in the game it blacks out and it happens every time at the same point?
    Which if the answer is yes the is either a problem with a file on the hard drive or the hard drive has errors.
    You can test the hard drives health with this program  https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php
    Download the trail version and you can un install it after you have done the checks.
    If the hard disk health has any errors post a screen shot here before DOING THE NEXT STEPS!!!!

If the hard drive checks 100% and has 10% or more free space i would then run Chkdsk as explained here  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8
    It's the same for windows 10 as 8

If all those checks are ok then run DXdiag as explained here https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4028644/windows-open-and-run-dxdiagexe
    If there is any errors please post a screen shot
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

BlackoutWin10

Topic Starter

Starter

It's not really a specific point in a game, but it's just after playing it for minimum 5-15 minutes.

I have 2 Hard Drives and the older one is certainly damaged as it has bad sectors, but my Windows 10 and all my games are on my new Hard Drive. Don't you think my PC should be doing this blackout annoyance in Single Player too if it's a problem with the Hard Drives?

Anyway when I ran HDSentinel my old HD had everything in red.

Performance 100% Excellent
      Health 3% Critical

There are 1421 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
      The drive found 855 bad sectors during its self test.
      Based on the number of remapping operations, the bad sectors may form continuous areas.
      There are 1162 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
      More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_weak_sectors.php
      It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

It is recommended to backup immediately to prevent data loss.

Power on time: 458 days, 10 hours
      Estimated remaining lifetime: 3 days
      Total start/stop count: 1,199

Tried to run a short self-test and it came out at 30 seconds with this message:
      Test failed by Read Element.

I know I didn't post a screenshot but this is all the critical information that appears. If you want more, specify what part should I copy.

In fact when I boot up Win10 it shows "Restart to repair drive errors" and even if it restarts and starts to repair the drive (specifically only 1 partition, not the whole drive) it doesn't do anything even if it finishes. Win10 still shows that "Restart to repair drive errors" message eventually. So it seems CHKDISK can't do anything.

HDSentinel shows 100% and green on my new HD.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      Thank you for the info.

The old drive does need to be replaced, and as a test i would use the computer with the old drive disconnected and perhaps leave it disconnected until you have somewhere to transfer the data to.
      Here is a few other things you may not have realized about running the computer with a drive in that condition.
      The computer will boot and work slower as during booting from the good drive it checks all the drives in the computer. The failing drive will be working slower so holding up the computer.
      Where is your steam folder perhaps it is on the failing drive ? hence why online games lockup. Anyway try the computer with the faulty drive disconnected. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

BlackoutWin10

Topic Starter

Starter

It doesn't cost any extra time at boot, and I don't think it causes any of my problems if I have a faulty HD. I don't notice it.

"Where is your steam folder perhaps it is on the failing drive ? hence why online games lockup."

Again, please, no. I have everything on the new drive. There is no reason for it to do any of this. If anything, it should do this blackout foolishness in SP too but it doesn't.