Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble connecting SATA hard drive to laptop using adapter  (Read 6253 times)

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Trouble connecting SATA hard drive to laptop using adapter
    « on: July 13, 2019, 11:43:00 PM »
    Hi, currently having some issues here. I am trying to connect an old desktop hard drive to my laptop, but it does not seem to detect anything in my file explorer. (btw using a SATA-USB 3.0 adapter). I heard that the SATA mode can be changed from Intel RS to AHCI, and does that make my computer detect the hard drive?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Trouble connecting SATA hard drive to laptop using adapter
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:14:55 AM »
    As far as these SATA to USB adapters go, generally they just work as long as the hard drive is healthy and not encrypted and as long as the computer connecting to the USB port has the right drivers. For the fact that you posted this in the Win 10 section I am curious if the SATA to USB 3.0 adapter you have is Windows 10 compatible?

What do you see when you connect this to your Windows 10 laptop. No drive mounted at all, or in device manager a yellow warning about this adapter or red X that there is an issue with it?

Additionally what is the exact make/model of this adapter so i can look it up to verify info on it?

Does it actually mount the drive as a drive letter that can be navigated but some data is missing because protected?

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
      As far as these SATA to USB adapters go, generally they just work as long as the hard drive is healthy and not encrypted and as long as the computer connecting to the USB port has the right drivers. For the fact that you posted this in the Win 10 section I am curious if the SATA to USB 3.0 adapter you have is Windows 10 compatible?

What do you see when you connect this to your Windows 10 laptop. No drive mounted at all, or in device manager a yellow warning about this adapter or red X that there is an issue with it?

Additionally what is the exact make/model of this adapter so i can look it up to verify info on it?

Does it actually mount the drive as a drive letter that can be navigated but some data is missing because protected?

Just checked from the website I bought, and it kind of does not state Windows 10 as one of its compatability tbh.

The Device Manager just displays "USB Mass Storage Device" inside Universal Serial Bus Controller.

Bought from this site https://tinyurl.com/y6oboh6y , "SAVFY USB 3.0 to SATA 22 PIN SSD Cable Connector 2.5 External Hard Disk Driver".

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
      Check Disk Management. It may be detected but might not be assigned a drive letter.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »
      Hi
      It will only work with some laptop hard drives not desktop hard drives. There isn't enough current available from a usb 3 port to power a desktop drive. Also there is no 12 V power on the adapter you have  which a desktop drive needs to run the motor. Please see below of a suggestion .
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »
        Check Disk Management. It may be detected but might not be assigned a drive letter.

Its assigned a letter, but there's nothing inside the mass storage device when trying to open, although it states its functioning normally.

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 08:21:16 AM »
          Hi
          It will only work with some laptop hard drives not desktop hard drives. There isn't enough current available from a usb 3 port to power a desktop drive. Also there is no 12 V power on the adapter you have  which a desktop drive needs to run the motor. Please see below of a suggestion .

Oh i see. So does it mean it will only work on this type of docking station you recommended, or are there any other alternatives?
          If usb 3.0 has not enough power, then this option might not work as well I guess: SATA Cable 3.0 to Hard Disk Drive SSD HDD Sata 3 Straight Right-angle Cable, from https://tinyurl.com/yxrq9apo .

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
          Get an external enclosure with an A/C power plug...it'll work.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
            Get an external enclosure with an A/C power plug...it'll work.

does this work?:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6s-5uYxTyE

rosbert

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 02:23:05 AM »
              i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 32GB ram | atturo

supsup_oh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
                I'm using this-- https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/
                It supports 2.5"/3.5" SATA HD's.

thank you for suggestion. Will consider getting something similar, but able to place dual hard drives.