Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I swap one motherboard to any other?  (Read 2506 times)

Jackf

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can I swap one motherboard to any other?
    « on: July 26, 2019, 09:15:54 PM »
    Hi. I’m fairly unfamiliar with the inter workings of PCs. I just got an elgato for my gaming PC but it requires USB 3.0. My computer doesn’t have that and my graphics card’s fan is coving the PCIe port to add usb 3. I have a GA-78LMT-S2 motherboard. I was wondering if there were any equivalent motherboards out there with usb 3.0

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can I swap one motherboard to any other?
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
    Instead of replacing the motherboard, another option may be to just relocate the PCI Express slot to be able to add that USB 3.0 card. That is if you have an available slot that isn't populated that you could get the card installed into with this PCI Express Extender cable. *There might be enough room to install this extender into the slot and bend the ribbon cable to side to redirect it to no longer be in conflict with the video card.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YU-00XZ-000E9?item=9SIADXJ78H0591&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-xinte+group-_-cables+-+network+ethernet+cables-_-9SIADXJ78H0591&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi-nQ2P7V4wIVDNvACh1tIAnxEAQYAyABEgJeZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
    By the way, if you decide  to change your motherboard for a different one, you might run into the issue of needing to reactivate windows due to hardware change (I'm assuming you're using Windows 10).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

pogo

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
    jackf;  So far as installing a new motherboard, there is a LOT to consider before you unplug anything on the board.  You have a Gigabyte micro ATX AMD board with an AM3+ cpu socket.  1st, the board must fit the case, so you may need to stay with a micro ATX board.  The cpu socket must be an AM3+, unless you can spring for a new cpu.  The Gigabyte specs say it supports Windows XP, Vista & 7.  Minimal problems with transferring your operating system.  Unless you have a real powerhouse  for a graphics card, I think you should invest in a new computer with USB 3.0.  I won't specify AMD equipment.  I only run INTEL.  Plus, I have my own problems with my motherboard.