Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics  (Read 2241 times)

Wanhedaking

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « on: August 14, 2019, 03:07:22 AM »
    Hello everyone,,
    So my mother's old Inspiron B130 won't boot. Bios sees the HDD, ran a diagnostic and get Error 1000-0146 on the drive. Then use dell diagnostic software and the HDD: passes Quick test, passes S.M.A.R.T. test but fails Read test giving error blocks.

I can boot to my personal XP install disc, go to Recovery Console but forget what commands to run from the command prompt. I'll research what files to copy from the DVD, but could anyone tell me if this hard drive is toast? Seems to me if it passes Quick tet and Smart it's probably just some corrupted files or sector blocks.

Thanks to anyone w/any words of advice. Very much appreciated,

CaptainCourageous

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
    I wouldn't waste your time with a damaged hard drive unless you needed to recover data off it. To getting this computer back up and running healthy again I would install a healthy drive. If you want to save money you can find low cost refurbished and healthy used drives for sale.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:36:37 AM »
    My rule of thumb with HDD's is if they do not pass 100% i give up on them and replace.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "