Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Primary display doesn't work anymore with games.  (Read 3815 times)

nvidiagoofedup

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Primary display doesn't work anymore with games.
    « on: August 30, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
    Hello all

I am having an issue where it appears that the newest Nvidia driver is causing issues for me with multi-monitor setups in ANY game. If I run a game at 1920x1080 or lower resolution, it displays on my secondary monitor which natively runs at x1080. My primary is at 3840x2160. No matter how many times I select 'display 1' in whatever game or program I am using, it still uses the secondary monitor for some reason.

The only workarounds I have found are upping the display resolution or running the game in windowed mode (can't do fullscreen as it just defaults back to secondary monitor for no reason.)

Bonus issue: If I disable the display in Windows, or otherwise unplug it - any game I try to run afterwards doesn't work at all!

Is there any way to fix this issue so that I can get software to properly run on my primary monitor without changing the display resolution? This has really been bugging me and so far nothing has worked. Help?  ???

I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) with a 980 GTX if that matters

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Primary display doesn't work anymore with games.
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
    Run a driver that works, Nvidia has a list for them for your model card.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Primary display doesn't work anymore with games.
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
    Did the previous Nvidia driver work as expected? If so, was there some specific reason you upgraded? If not, roll back to the previous version. Drivers should only be updated if absolutely necessary or if the new release offers a feature you "must have".