Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Failure CPU Overclocking  (Read 2380 times)

ezduzit

System Failure CPU Overclocking
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
I do not know how to label this problem, but...
I am dealing with my son's pentium4 computer. It has 1.5G RAM. Recently it started shutting down
w/o warning. Now, it has a ,ajor problem.
   When I turn it on, there is no video signal,the monitor is black with the "monitor is working properly" message.  But there is an audio message that says: System failure, CPU overclocking.
I checked the video card, and it is installed properly. It was working last week.
I checked that the 2 fans were working, which they are.
Everything looks pretty clean inside. Heat sinks are spotless.

Any ideas what to do about the system failure issue and overclocking?
Then I can move on to the next step.
Thanks!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: System Failure CPU Overclocking
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:54:16 PM »
     ezduzit........   Have you asked your Son if he or any of his friends have been overclocking the machine ....... because if they have its quite possible that they have fried part of the system .......... Overclocking is something that if done ...must be done extremely carefully or great misfortune follows .......
    Overclocking is done to try and get better response out of a CPU ....... Gamers will do this ......... Dependending on how much they have overclocked it ...it will work for a while ...but then Zap .......its toast .
    Let us know what he says ......

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

ezduzit

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:01:06 PM »
    My son said it had been overclocked once about a year ago, then set back to normal. The computer has been working well all along. Only in the past month did it start shutting down suddenly.
    Is there a way of salvaging this? Where to next?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:29:46 PM »
      ezduzit....
      Is there a way of salvaging this? Where to next?
      I really don't know ,except top say that it would help to identify exactly what has failed ..... Can you provide a model mumber and brand name for the mobo and the number of the processor ( we know its a Intel P4 ........)
      Is it possible to test the cpu in another pc ? ..... That would be the first thing I would be looking at .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
      My son said it had been overclocked once about a year ago, then set back to normal.

I don' know about that, but you could take it to a shop to get the processor checked out. That would probably be your next stop.