Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstall W10 or 'Custom'?  (Read 18032 times)

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Reinstall W10 or 'Custom'?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
I wonder when Microsoft will copy Apple and allow reloads of windows from the internet. I would save lots of problems making bootable pen drives. They are doing it now with Office so shouldn't be a problem adding the boot from network/internet into the windows reload options. Then slip stream the lastest windows build onto the drive with the drivers it backed up before the reload. Anyway dreams are free.

I suppose the ability to reinstall windows from the cloud and not need to hop through the ISO/pen drive installer should come pretty soon. Seeing as it was an insider preview build feature, it can't be too far away from coming over to the mainstream consumer/retail build. Supposedly it'll be coming to version 1909 of windows 10 though or so they say.

See here --> How to reinstall or reset Windows 10 via the cloud
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:22:14 PM by 2x3i5x »

Mac20nine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
@Lisa_maree: Unsure what constitutes a non-compatible UEFI drive but if I can't get Asus support to point me towards how turn off secure boot I believe I can install using Legacy-bios. None of my HDDs are that big; none need more than 4 partitions.

Thanks for the tip re: using usb 2.0. My HDD was wiped. Still think secure boot would've nixed the install starting altogether off usb. Not sure. But ran memtest (86?) 5X & components are 100% compatible. Like to install my Linux Mint but need MS done 1st.

However, for the last time, I'm NOT doing any kind of recover or Reset. I'm installing from scratch. On a drive that has now been wiped. Just hope the 1st attempt to install doesn't necessitate another wipe.

Appreciate everyone's assistance,

Mac

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »
...W10 (Pro 64b)...