Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RDP - Is a display adapter required?  (Read 12814 times)

barcafan1990

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    RDP - Is a display adapter required?
    « on: November 18, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
    If I set up a physical machine to remote into over RDP, can I disable the built-in display adapter (e.g. Device manager > Intel HD Graphics 4000) and still remote into it?

It wouldn't need to be accessed directly so there won't even be a monitor attached.
    It also wouldn't have an external/dedicated either.

I want to know if I can just remote into it over MS RDP without a host display adapter?

Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: RDP - Is a display adapter required?
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
    Most motherboards have at bare minimum an integrated GPU or is its an APU system ( CPU/GPU  in a single processor chip ).  You would need to likely have a monitor connected to the system you plan to RDP into during the build process of the OS and configuration.

If the intent is to try to save electricity, leaving the system with the integrated GPU enabled wont waste much electricity.

However the unknown is if you have the display driver disabled, I am not sure if RDP would be affected or not by this. *Part of me thinks that RDP may have a dependency on a video driver and GPU present because the native screen resolution is passed over the connection to the system that connects to it. So you can try disabling the driver for the GPU and see if RDP works, however if it doesn't you will have to perform a repair installation or bring it up in safe mode to get the display working again if it allows disabling of the display altogether and you want the display back because RDP is a failure and your aborting the non-GPU configuration.

matthewc1976

Starter

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: RDP - Is a display adapter required?
    « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 05:19:07 AM »
    RDP is a Windows service so you shouldn't need to worry about display adapters on the host machine.    The only things you need to worry about are network connectivity and ensuring that the host remains on the same local IP.   If you know how to, either reserve the IP address to a static list via your router for the host OR force a static IP from the host.