Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external hard drive detected but not in Explorer  (Read 4200 times)

dgreen

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    external hard drive detected but not in Explorer
    « on: October 08, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
    I have a WD external My Book hard drive which has my back up on it.
    I powered it on, plugged it in to my laptop and it showed up in device manager but not in windows explorer. The laptop is running windows 7 64bit.
    I then tried it on my desktop computer which is running XP but it was exactly the same .
    The option to Safely Remove Hardware is available on both the laptop and Desktop.
    How can I get access to the files on it ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: external hard drive detected but not in Explorer
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 05:50:30 PM »
    Simple answer is:  the cable is broke.
    You can look in the WD User Manuel. Look for tips to  howto know what is song,
    https://www.wd.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705107.pdf
    Try to download it if you need it.
    Look in chapter 8.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: external hard drive detected but not in Explorer
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:11:05 AM »
    Hi

I would first check in disk management that the drive is showing and is healthy from here you may just need to assign it a drive letter. Search on Windows for      Disk management

Are you sure that you didn't use the wd toolkit to password protect the drive? If you did then you need the wd tools loaded to access the drive.

If all else fails you could download this program  https://www.reclaime.com/
    It will scan the drive for files for free, but it costs to recover.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan