Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Audio Problems  (Read 6287 times)

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Audio Problems
    « on: October 08, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
    Hello,

Since I changed computers I have a problem with audio. I can hear audio,  but I can't record. When I had my old computer, in the second image I seem to recall that under the Line In option there was another option which said something like Stereo Mix. Yet it's not there. Is there any reason why Configure is grayed out.

When I try to record via Audacity I get this report.

Many thanks for your help
    El Baz is shuttlepod 05 of the USS Enterprise NCC1701-D

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Audio Problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:11 PM »
    First thing I would do is to get and install the latest drivers available for your audio card/device & operating system. Looks like your computer just has the generic drivers provided by Microsoft.

If your device supports Stereo Mix and it's not showing up, that may be a reason.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:01:51 AM »
    Hi
    Is this the same computer you have in another post about it re setting. Your motherboard is of an age and type which could have bulged capacitors which could cause both these problems.

If you google bulged capacitor pictures there is plenty of images of the problem to help you check.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:22:07 AM »
      First thing I would do is to get and install the latest drivers available for your audio card/device & operating system. Looks like your computer just has the generic drivers provided by Microsoft.

If your device supports Stereo Mix and it's not showing up, that may be a reason.

I downloaded the audio driver went to install it, during the installation I received a report "Install Realtech Audio Driver Failure"

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 04:25:00 AM »
        Hi
        Is this the same computer you have in another post about it re setting. Your motherboard is of an age and type which could have bulged capacitors which could cause both these problems.

If you google bulged capacitor pictures there is plenty of images of the problem to help you check.

Checked the caps, they're fine.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »
        It could be disabled. By default that listing doesn't show disabled devices. If you right-click within the list of recording devices, one of the options shown should be "Show disabled devices". If it appears, you can then right-click it and enable it.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 04:43:01 AM »
          It could be disabled. By default that listing doesn't show disabled devices. If you right-click within the list of recording devices, one of the options shown should be "Show disabled devices". If it appears, you can then right-click it and enable it.

Thanks for getting back, I did has you suggested by right clicking. You can see there are only two disabled devices. If memory serves me right Stereo Mix should be under Line In, which it isn't.

On October 08, 2019, 2x3i5x posted

On October 09, 2019, I replied.

I downloaded the audio driver went to install it, during the installation I received a report "Install Realtech Audio Driver Failure"

Perhaps I downloaded the wrong driver. My motherboard is

ALiveNF6P-VSTA
          Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
          BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50 04/09/2008

I have audio, but I don't have anyway of recording. I get these two reports when I use Audacity top and Wavepad.

This is really getting me down - Thanks for any additional help.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 01:22:21 PM »
          Hi

From your posts (which are very good  :) ) i see the windows was installed on  08/05/2019 19:34:50 was this when you got the replacement computer? And was this a clean  windows install on this computer ?

In device manager is there any devices either with exclamation marks or not working like the PCI bridge driver. ?

Also Asrock didn't write drivers for your motherboard for Windows 7 the last drivers were for Vista. Lenovo and Dell used the ALC662 sound chip you could try their drivers. And have drivers to Windows 10.
          Lenovo updated driver from here  https://support.lenovo.com/se/en/downloads/ds003584

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
            Hi

From your posts (which are very good  :) ) i see the windows was installed on  08/05/2019 19:34:50 was this when you got the replacement computer? And was this a clean  windows install on this computer ?

In device manager is there any devices either with exclamation marks or not working like the PCI bridge driver. ?

Also Asrock didn't write drivers for your motherboard for Windows 7 the last drivers were for Vista. Lenovo and Dell used the ALC662 sound chip you could try their drivers. And have drivers to Windows 10.
            Lenovo updated driver from here  https://support.lenovo.com/se/en/downloads/ds003584

Good news, problem solved. I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e24c8i6xloU

Went to the website, downloaded the file, 0009-32bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282 and installed the drivers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
            Went to the website, downloaded the file, 0009-32bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282 and installed the drivers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's great that you got it working!  I would also keep a backup of the driver installation files that you used to install in case you ever need to reinstall windows for whatever reason :)
            Even though you're up and running, I was about to post this if you're interested: Realtek's official website for the win7 drivers: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software