Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Health  (Read 16393 times)

CuG9j5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    System Health
    « on: November 29, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
    Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 13, i5, 256gb purchase in 2012. I'd like to know if I should purchase a new one, or if the current one still has life in it> Attached is a Windows perfmon report I ran today, but I don't know what it means.

Thanks for letting me know whether my system might fail and I should get a new one, or if it's not having problems and I should keep it until it does?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: System Health
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
    You need to run a memory test.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-your-ram-with-microsoft-windows-memory-diagnostic/

Home » Software » 3 Ways to Test your RAM with Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
    3 Ways to Test your RAM with Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Raymond Updated 3 years ago ...
    Unfortunately knowing when you have RAM memory inside your PC that has developed problems isn’t as straightforward as you might think. It can manifest itself in many different ways and problems with your computer which don’t seem in the remotest bit connected with RAM, could in fact turn out to be just that.
    ... Home » Software » 3 Ways to Test your RAM with Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
    3 Ways to Test your RAM with Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Raymond Updated 3 years ago Software 5 Comments

Unfortunately knowing when you have RAM memory inside your PC that has developed problems isn’t as straightforward as you might think. It can manifest itself in many different ways and problems with your computer which don’t seem in the remotest bit connected with RAM, could in fact turn out to be just that.

A computer that fires into life and then sits at a black screen and doesn’t do anything else is a common symptom of a bad module which needs taking out or replacing. A Windows install that keeps failing while unpacking files from the disc could also be due to a memory error. Even problems relating to disk read errors which sound the furthest thing from memory issues as you could imagine, can be caused by errors coming from the memory.
    Testing your RAM for errors is something you can easily do because there are a few free tools around that can help you out, and all that’s needed is for you to run the program and let it check all your internal memory. Here’s a few different ways you can test your RAM for errors.  ...
    Microsoft’s Windows Memory Diagnostic  ..
    This Microsoft memory testing tool is a bit old coming from 2003 but because the method of testing memory is the same today as it was back then, it still works.
    /
    Read it over and perform the tests for one hour or more.  :)

The memory test can be put on a CD and you can boot it directly.  Of course,the BIOS must be set to boot from CD.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
     The Dell XPS 13, i5, 256gb is a great laptop.
    If i was checking it over i would visually check the case, hinges , battery life and screen for damage.
    then i would check drive free space good to keep the drive at  40 gb or more free space.

Dells have diagnostics which you can run in Windows.

Running Hardware Checkup in Dell SupportAssist:
    Click Windows Start.
    Open Dell SupportAssist application.
    Click Hardware Checkup tile.
     Choose the type of diagnostic test you would like to run:
     Default - This test will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
     Stress - This test will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.
     Scan a Specific Device - This will allow you to run a diagnostic test on a specific device in your PC.

Copied from Here https://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzdhs1/sln114988/dell-diagnostic-tools-to-diagnose-and-fix-hardware-problems-on-your-dell-pc-tablet-or-servers?lang=en

If you haven't already, it would be worth making a recovery flash drive as described here

https://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzdhs1/sln298442/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery-restore-usb-drive?lang=en

If you want to know more about the hard drive life there is this program https://www.hdsentinel.com/

Which will tell you the number of read/writes the drive has done  And how many days at current use the drive has left. It's not exact just an approximation.

Even if everything checks out it is still safer to do regular backups.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

CuG9j5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
      Thank you for your help