Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Impossible internet problems please help  (Read 6633 times)

elisammgarcia

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Impossible internet problems please help
    « on: November 30, 2019, 02:19:40 AM »
    Hey , I have had an on going issue with my phone and internet. Chorus isn’t fixing it , it’s been going on for 4 months. Where the speed is showing at 17mbsp Download speed on the Chorus website and my modem interface. when I do an online speed test I get 0.40mbsp, one of the lowest speeds in New Zealand. a technician brought my modem and plugged directly into the cabinet and I received 0.40mbsp. I’ve tried spark, frizbox and net gear modems. I’ve tried gaming laptop, windows and MacBook laptops , and Ethernet cable and all 1-0.40mbsp. Download speeds. I’m only 800m from the cabinet , and on ADSL.

Any suggestions of what the problem could be , or how to fix it ,

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Impossible internet problems please help
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
    Hi fellow Kiwi,

I'm a little confused at what you mean by "a technician brought my modem and plugged directly into the cabinet" do you mean the tech disconnected your line at the road side cabinet and attached your modem to test the line from the cabinet to the exchange. Seems a little strange as the Tech should have been able to test the adsl signal and speed with their test set without the modem.  You can always test you setup by taking your computer and modem and attaching it to a friends connection which you know is working. If they are both chorus connections you don't need to change anything in your modem for it to work. Just swap out their modem for yours. If the internet is fast then it's a problem in your house.

I think it is most likely the house wiring maybe a monitored alarm or sky box without an adsl filter. Has the adsl  ever worked ? How old is the house and how many phone outlets do you have?
    What suburb are you in, some areas still have over head cables.

There maybe an option in your area to get VDSL which if installed properly means a tech will come out and put an adsl line filter where the phone line comes into the house and then run an Ethernet cable to the modem. Which means the house phone connections and wiring are isolated from the Adsl connection.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan