Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Windows 10 the last one?  (Read 12744 times)

luciferjohn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Is Windows 10 the last one?
    « on: December 08, 2019, 02:58:34 AM »
    I am still on windows 7, i did refuse the free windows 10 upgrade. I'm gonna build a new PC soon (already have most parts, waiting for a good deal on an older GPU)

My BF does have Windows 10 and i really don't like it....Windows 7 is not gonna be supported after 2020. Are we stuck with Windows 10 forever?

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Is Windows 10 the last one?
      « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
      Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 is the last version, and they're transitioning to a "service model" -- which basically means you buy Windows 10, and they update it forever however they want. This upsets a lot of people but it's the world we live in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/05/08/windows-10-to-be-last-version-of-windows/#389e8796713a

The good news is, if you have a valid Windows 7 or 8 product key, you can use it to validate Windows 10, so there's no financial barrier to upgrade (this is intentional by Microsoft).

You can create a Windows 10 installer disk yourself, if you have a USB flash drive. Step by step instructions on Computer Hope:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000333.htm
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
      My BF does have Windows 10 and i really don't like it.

Just wondering what's wrong with Windows 10? (Unless you've encountered issues with older software and devices not working on Windows 10, or bugs and stuff that Microsoft needs to fix, it's fine to me actually going forward).

But yes, Windows 10 appears to be the last major version of Windows that Microsoft will release (all future releases will just be updates to Windows 10)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
      I found this item that might be of interest.

To make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7, you will have to do the following:
      1.    Change the Windows 10 Start Menu to look like Windows 7.
      2.    Make Windows 10 Explorer look like Windows 7 Explorer.
      3.   Customize the color scheme of Windows Title Bars to look like Windows 7.
      4.    Remove Cortana Box & Task View from the Taskbar.

For more, go to:
      https://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-look-like-windows-7
      So, you can have it your way .    O0

Novel8

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
        I am still on windows 7, i did refuse the free windows 10 upgrade. I'm gonna build a new PC soon (already have most parts, waiting for a good deal on an older GPU)

My BF does have Windows 10 and i really don't like it....Windows 7 is not gonna be supported after 2020. Are we stuck with Windows 10 forever?

Why not have both on your system like I have? I use Win 7 90% of the time and occasionally go to 'explore' win 10.

Kiralykampot

Starter

• Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:57:36 AM »
          I held off from Windows 10 for as long as possible but after eventually making the change, I have to admit that I needn't have.

You can easily customise it so that it's stylistically similar to Windows 7 and I find that it otherwise 'just works'. I've barely noticed that i'm not on Windows 7 any more and it's most likely faster and more user friendly too.