Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC upgrade help needed  (Read 3973 times)

Guns and Drums

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC upgrade help needed
    « on: January 03, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
    Hello, I hope this is the correct section to post this in. I'm looking to upgrade my PC for more gaming and streaming. I mainly play RDR2 and ArmA 3 and I also stream the gameplay.

My current rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HzXfp8

I'm currently CPU OC'd to 4.5 Ghz ( although I feel like there is random jitter sometimes when using the PC)

I was told that upgrading the GPU to a 1660 should do the trick, but I feel like my CPU will bottleneck it all significantly.

All help is appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC upgrade help needed
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 11:24:17 AM »
    Sorry, I can not help you.  But if I ever want to build a game PC, I would first look at the ready made stuff out there. It is hard to beat factory made Desktop PCs.
    The Best Gaming Desktops for 2020
    Notice how the pricks e vary a lot.   :o

Years ago you had to make your won. Now you have to make the choice, homebrew or in a box from a factory.    :-\   

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
    I'd back off on the overclock a hair and see if you can get rid of the jitter issue that way. I pushed for maximum stable overclock before and  I had to back off some to get the jitters to disappear. Other thing to look at is what your temperature is of that CPU because if its roasting hot it will thermal throttle and bottleneck on you and cause you to think you need an upgrade that you might just need a better CPU cooler to unlock the full potential of the video card.

What do you have for temps of the CPU and GPU idle and when gaming?

Guns and Drums

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »
      Thanks for the replies, but in no way am I gonna consider buying a pre-built PC. I'm merely looking to upgrade.

I checked the temps and I have 68°C max on both GPU and some of the CPU cores. If voltage matters - I'm stable at 1.34.

Didn't lower the OC just yet because I realised I think I've encountered the jitter before - maybe low RAM frequency? Idk.

Although I do very often in intensive games see 100% CPU usage and very low GPU usage, don't know what to make of that.