Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confusing BSOD after new hardware install, seeking any help to resolve  (Read 37177 times)

Kasunaki

Hi! Not quite used to asking help on this sort of thing but:

I recently upgraded my PC from:

AMD 8320
Gigabyte 970A-D3SP Rev.1.0
G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 DDR3

To:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
ASUS Prime x470 PRO
G.Skill Trident Neo 3600

(Same GPU [ASUS 1060 6g Turbo] and wifi card)

In short I think it's an issue regarding the new hardware and old/corrupted drivers.

Anyways, it ran perfectly fine for the past few days when overnight on the 4th/5th, I woke to a boot loop with the BSOD: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (Path storport.sys). It cannot boot into recovery mode as it is not getting past ~3-5seconds of loading past BIOS. I have no idea why or if it was a result of windows updating/forgetting a driver or upgrading itself (most recent on record was 12-30-2019, before I upgraded). Here's what I've tried:

> Cleared CMOS; errors
> Flashed BIOS to both an earlier and the most recent update; errors
> Rearranged RAM; errors
> Tried 1 RAM vs 2; errors
> Disconnected USBs and all PCI/e's individually; errors
> Ran Windows Installer via USB with HDD; errors
> Ran Windows Installer via USB without SATA plugged in; errors with new codes: same as above but path=CLASSPNP.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,
   CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (varies depending on stage, more info if asked)
> Shut off three times for winRE; errors during diagnosis
> Called MS Support; guy suggests using a different computer to load the hard drive

> HDD in alternate PC; runs perfectly fine
> Ran chkdsk (no issues), stopped the Fast Startup, renamed storport.sys, system restored to 12-30-2019; errors when returned to new build

At this point I was quite stumped and wondered if it was a hardware issue, so I:

> Tested another HDD with windows on new build; ran perfectly fine (so it shouldn't be dead RAM or CPU issues right?)
> Rebuilt the old PC using the parts I set aside the other day with HDD in question; am still currently running on it with no issues (so not GPU, yeah?)

CURRENT

> Running sfc scan
> Updating all drivers related to my SATA, Mobo, CPU, etc. (although they are auto installs and don't wanna install the drivers without the parts in

AFAIK, I'm pretty sure it's an issue with drivers (maybe windows updated them overnight and got things a bit confused?) and the new parts clashing but I don't quite know which one or how to find out and fix it/them, as I have no way of knowing which ones to uninstall/update without the new parts being installed (if I'm right, although not too sure since I've never had such a hard time). Maybe I'm completely off track? I would really like to have advice or any suggests and help regarding how I can get the HDD to boot with the new CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Anything is worth trying at this point although it should be noted that I'm only willing to reinstall and wipe as a last resort.

Anything is appreciated and thank you for reading/helping! I can provide more info if needed!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Confusing BSOD after new hardware install, seeking any help to resolve
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:31:36 PM »
Your Gskill RAM is not on their QVL list...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kasunaki

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
From the PDF on ASUS I have, it shows that G.Skill F4-3600C18D-16GTZN (the one's i have) is supported (3rd gen pdf). But it not being supported shouldn't allow it to boot any HDD with windows correct? Only the one drive I have seems to be refusing to boot, every other one I've tried doesnt seem to spit the same error code out.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
Is the HDD that wont boot from another PC ? ?...that would explain it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kasunaki

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
Yeah, overnight the HDD seemed to just stop being compatible with the new system (although it's been fine the few days prior). It works everywhere else but with the new parts, and yet the new parts work with every other HDD I have. It's a recent issue between just this one specific HDD in relation to these new parts. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »
Once is awhile a HDD will just not work the way you want. If you value y our time, the best choice is  jut buy a replacement HDD that will just work.
Later on you can use the old drives as a backup, if you find out what went wrong.
Right now a starboard SATA HDD under 500GB is a bargain. Amazon,. New-egg and others have them for under $20. Think about it.  8)

Kasunaki

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »
Going to take that advice and wipe this drive and buy another. Thanks for the help mates! Post can be closed.