Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Laptop rebuild ASUS C90S screen goes black but cpu still is running . . .  (Read 11406 times)

RVP

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    I am running Win7 pro SP1 7601 intell 6600 @ 2.40ghz 3GB RAM
    GeForce 8600m GT 512
    Soon after I load up my GPU drivers, The screen will crash as soon as I try to run any programs, especially something involving the video card.
    In the Event Viewer I see some events re-occuring over & over along with the crashes of my screen.

Level - Error; source - event log; event id - 6008; task catagory - none
    Level - critical; source - Kernal Power; event id - 41; task catagory - (63)
    Level - Error; source - event log; event id - 1101; task catagory - event processing
    Level - Error; source - WMI; event id - 10; task catagory - none

When my screen goes black, you can still hear the computer running, just with no screen.
    Unfortunately, my only choice at this point is a hard power down, which results in the option to boot in safe mode when it starts back up, so I do not know if any of these errors are related to the hard shutdown.  (holding down power button)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RVP

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The cooling system on this machine is pretty robust and everything is clean and operating.

I can get the gpu driver installed, and the system appears stable at first. The screen will glitch occasionally, but I can cruise around in windows and run various on board utility windows programs.

However, If I try to play a video, then the screen goes black, but you can hear the video running in the background.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      I deleted your duplicate post - no need to post the same question more than once.

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

RVP

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have posted about this machine on both XP and Win7 forums. I have posted in hardware and software threads.

The machine has trouble on both OS's, So I have been looking for insight in either direction.

I try to be specific.

Replies I have received mention cooling a lot, so I did do some cut and paste at one point just to clarify in advance that I had considered the cooling system.

apologies for any trouble