Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Wi-Fi power transfer Myth. CES 2020  (Read 58089 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The Wi-Fi power transfer Myth. CES 2020
« on: January 17, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »
Okay, this is another rant.
Aand I am putting it here because it perhaps represents just my own thinking. However, my guess is that many of you are going to come to the same conclusion when you look over some of the stuff is coming out of the 2020 C ES in Las Vegas.

Here is one of the wackiest things someone has come up with. They claimed they have a wireless power system. In other words, you don't have to use any wire to recharge your cell phone or your tablet. The electricity will travel through the air using some kind of wireless technology and find its way to your smart phone or tablet and charge up the built-in battery. Here is what I have to say about this thank you. It is a crock of baloney.

No, I'm not talking about short range induction devices that hook energy from one place to another by using magnetic transfer. That's only good for a few inches or centimeters. They claim they can transmit useful power over a distance of 2 m or more. That is very hard to believe. >:(

Oh yes, they can do it. But the issue is of cost effectiveness and efficiency just to transmit save 5 W of power over a distance of a couple of meters would require usually 25 W of power just to do that and even then it would require a special antenna to focus the energy in a beam.

Am I the only one that thinks this way?  8)

Unless they have discovered some kind of new technology. You just cannot transmit wireless energy any distance without losing a lot of efficiency.

Okay. That's my rant for today. The plane that one company has that they can transmit power wirelessly is full of holes.  ::)
End of dictation.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: The Wi-Fi power transfer Myth. CES 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:41:04 PM »
I imagine it may be possible via the use of high-energy, non-ionizing RF could allow for induction over a longer range with less loss. and integrating some sort of communication tech such as Bluetooth could provide a way for a focussed beam to be distributed to devices. that can charge using it.

This one seemed promising until the CEO babbled about Nikola Tesla. Oh Well, add that company to bin along with countless others created by Tesla "Free Energy" whackjobs.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: The Wi-Fi power transfer Myth. CES 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »