Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Sharing Crossover Win7 and Win XP  (Read 7519 times)

Gujarish

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    File Sharing Crossover Win7 and Win XP
    « on: January 23, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »
    Hello everyone,,
    How do I manage to get this done?

I have a few Files that are too large for me to transfer via USB (and my external HDD is full)

In win XP file sharing has been easy! Where you just enable it, and then under  “My network Places” you just click on “View workgroup computers” and then you would see all computers that you have access to..

But I skipped Vista, and just 2 days now I am on Win7 and I just cant figure out how to get this done (Windows 7 part)

I have made a proper crossover cable and have tested it with a tester.
    All help is appreciated thanks in advance

P.s. I want to transfer in both Directions From Win XP to  Win7  and Win 7 to XP
    Shared Folders

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: File Sharing Crossover Win7 and Win XP
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
    Thia has been documented.
    Sharing Files Between Windows 7 and Windows XP Make sure both of the machines are on the same Workgroup which by default is named WORKGROUP. From your Windows 7 machine, go to: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
    https://www.trickyways.com/2009/08/how-to-enable-file-sharing-between-windows-7-and-windows-xp/

Here is my trick. I create a partition on my Hard Drive just for my documents, downloads, photos and videos. I give it  a name related to some  name so I will remember it.
    Example; I have a user called 'Fred' and make a partition and call it
    'Fred2' and share the whole partition. It is not a system partition, so no harm is done. I have the same thing on both computers and can synchronize that data set on both computers using a suitable tool. I use Sync oy from Microsoft.
    And yes, Fred is a user on both computers.
    Does this help?

Term_ite

Beginner
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: File Sharing Crossover Win7 and Win XP
      « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
      I wouldn't waste any mor time on this guy. I found the following from a google search in a Windows forum. Note the  date!
      ==============================================================
      File Sharing Crossover Win7 and Win XP RRS feed
      Windows 7 IT Pro > Windows 7 Miscellaneous
      Question
      Question
      Sign in to vote
      Sign in to vote

How do I manage to get this done?

I have a few Files that are too large for me to transfer via USB (and my external HDD is full)

In win XP file sharing has been easy! Where you just enable it, and then under  “My network Places” you just click on “View workgroup computers” and then you would see all computers that you have access to..

But I skipped Vista, and just 2 days now I am on Win7 and I just cant figure out how to get this done (Windows 7 part)

I have made a proper crossover cable and have tested it with a tester.

All help is appreciated thanks in advance

P.s. I want to transfer in both Directions From Win XP to  Win7  and Win 7 to XP

Shared Folders

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:54 AM
      Reply|Quote
      thorsonb0 Points
      ===============================================================

Maybe Gujarish is thorsonb and he still hasn't solved his problem