Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get mouse or keyboard to wake up PC  (Read 21670 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Can't get mouse or keyboard to wake up PC
    « on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »
    I've looked up and tried every method I can find and it still won't work. I dislike very much having to push the power button on my tower to bring it out of the sleep mode. I know this may sound like a wimpy,  puny or lazy excuse but my tower is behind my monitor and besides being a nuisance. is uncomfortable to reach.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't get mouse or keyboard to wake up PC
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »
    You can search Google and find this is a common problem.
    In some cases there is not solution you would like.
    Here are  videos found On you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wake+up+computer+with+keyboard

Does that work? It does not for me.  >:(

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
      I haven't found much that I haven't tried but tried some things I hadn't seen yet but still no luck in getting them to take. I think I'll look at my other PC and see if I can find some little something that's different. One thing I noticed though that was different on my PC was when using the Command Prompt. After typing cmd, instead of asking to run as admin, it went straight to the prompt and showed my user name instead of system 32 as in the video. I proceeded to enter what was required to allow sleep wake up but it said it couldn't perform it because of an error. I started to enter system 32 as in the video but haven't yet. Kind of getting discouraged.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »
      To get Admin level on cmd go to Start /Accessories /Command prompt...rite clik it and select run as Admin...

PS... to speed this up you can pin a shortcut to cmd on the Start menu...thats what i did.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
        Thanks, I'll give it a try. Just tried it, no accessaries on my computer?
        « Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:04:18 PM by jbubb »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
        Start/All programs/Accesories/Command prompt...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 04:18:26 PM »
          I'm on 10 and you're on 7 which is different I guess. It's windows accessaries on mine but you still have to type in command prompt which takes me back to my username and not run as admin or system 32.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »
            OK, here's the scoop. I wasn't paying close attention to the video that goes through the Command Prompt. It's click start and then type in cmd,  right click on cmd and run as admin and things go as it should. I've restarted my PC, we'll see if it works.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »
              It finally went to sleep but still wouldn't wake up with the mouse or keyboard. The thing I've noticed is that my mouse (optical) isn't lit until the PC is powered up, my other PC has a wireless mouse and fires up as soon as you move it. I changed the PC I'm on to a wireless keyboard a while back with a wired mouse which shouldn't matter I would think. Both PC's keyboards and mice are attached to the computer by hub or direct USB slot. I'm worn out messing with this stuff.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:19 PM »
              Are you still looking for a solution to your problem?
              You said the reason you want to do this is because you don't like reaching around and hitting the reset button. That sounds like your lazy. But I could be wrong, it might be that you have some physical limitations that make it difficult for you to reach around and press a button. If that is the issue, there are a couple of workarounds you can do.
              One solution requires that you get some help the somebody that is familiar with working on personal computers. The power reset button is really a low-voltage low-power pushbutton that is powered by a special circuit in the power supply that I was a small amount of power to be fed to the button. This is how the button is able to activate the system when the power is off, because the power is not completely off because a small amount of power is being fed to the pushbutton assembly.
              The simple way to solve your problem would be to extend the pushbutton using a piece of ordinary bill wire and another pushbutton. You can find parts suppliers that will sell you a replacement power button, connector and wire for under two dollars. But the wire is not quite long enough for what you want and you have to add another section of bill wire to it or any kind of twisted-pair wire that you might have around. To do this you need to have some familiarity with opening up the case and locating the place where there is a connector for the pushbutton wire. From what you said I don't know if you have ever got into the inside of a personal computer. If not, find somebody in your area that knows how to do it. It is not a hard job.
              There is another option that is used by some people with disabilities. This is where they control the power on with a power strip that has a power switch on it. But you'll need to have some specific instructions on how to use the power switch on an a power strip to turn on the PC when it is been shut down.
              My reason for posting this is it other people read these posts in might wonder if you ever got the situation resolved and they would like to know how you did it. If you found a solution that works for you; please share what you learned with other people who are reading this thread.

I hope you'll reply.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »
                In answer to part of your response, I'm not as lazy as much as being aggravated because it won't do the same as my other PC. The instructions on how to accomplish this fail to remedy the situation and that tics me off as well. The procedures are straight forward enough but don't seem to work and I am the type that is like a dog chewing a bone, I put way too much time chewing on that bone before giving it up. If I find something that works, I'll gladly share it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
                Thank you for responding.  :)

Let me out line some of the reasons why you're not getting answers from other members. The first thing is you have not described accurately all the equipment and resources you have available to you.

First of all when you know the exact model number of the computer you wish to power on without reaching down and hitting the power switch button.
                Next, it would be helpful to know what is the other computer that the works the way you expected to. Again, the exact make and model are needed.
                Why is this? Because the manufacturers don't always stick to the accepted standards in the industry and even the same manufacturer may make variations on established designs used by that manufacturer. This drives everybody crazy trying to figure out why some hardware does not have certain special features.
                There are a set of established protocols for power control. One of the specific features has to do with power interruption. If the power from the main circuit of your house or office becomes interrupted, the PC goes dead and this might result in some damage. Or maybe not. In either case, there is a protocol for what to do when the power comes back on. Not all desktop computers have this feature. With a laptop it would not be a matter of concern, because the laptop will automatically switch over to battery power and run on the battery until it becomes discharged.
                With a desktop PC the only internal battery runs the clock and it does not have enough power to run anything other than just the system clock. So when you turn it back on it will have the correct time and date.

Now if you're hardware does have complete set up for this kind of thing, it provides another way to turn the computer on after it has been turned off. There is one setting where computer will turn back on if the power is restored. However, the default setting usually is to leave the computer turn all even when the power is restored again.
                The difficulty here is the lack of standards among the computer manufacturers and even the use of standards even among computers of the same brand. So that is why we need also specific information about your hardware in order to tell you what's going wrong.
                As I mentioned earlier, most desktop PCs, maybe I should say all desktop PCs, have some way of supplying a small amount of power to the reset button. The reset button is a momentary button, it does not latch into on or off position. It is like a doorbell. It just gives a momentary impulse and that is enough to start the computer up. But that only works if there is a standby that provides standby power for the reset switch. I to the said power switch. Wait, I should said power button. One thing that is confusing is picking out the right name is for the different components. I think the proper name is momentary power button. It is not really a switch that goes into a nonphysician or to an authorization and holds the in one of those positions. That kind of pushbutton is called unlatching button and has some kind of mechanical way of holding the button in one position or another. It is kind of like the mechanism used in a ballpoint pen to extend or read track the point of the pen.

Using the search YouTube and find how to replace or repair the power button. Using that information you could create an extension cable for the power button and put it where you want. This is a hardware solution that, I think, works on any modern desktop computer. I believe the power control is now always a momentary pushbutton that connects to the motherboard which connects to a special standby connection from the power supply. Anyway, you can extend that connection and put another power button connected to the same terminals on the motherboard. For just and will the power button and extend the wires over the long enough to where you can reach them. The voltage level on that power button is very low and does not present any kind of hazard. However, to make technical, it violates some of the standards for desktop computers. You're not supposed to have unshielded wires coming out of the computer. Not that it was liable for the computer, but the computer will cause interference to standard radio stations.
                Anyway, that is the easy and sure fire hardware method of doing what you want to do. Just extend the power button outside of the case and find a location on your desktop for you can put the power button.
                Yes, in theory your supposed to be able to do it with the right kind of software set up and the right kind of hardware set up. The problem is that not all computers have the right kind of hardware for doing power on from the keyboard or the mouse. You can do power all, but you can't do power on if there is no standby power. What I'm trying to say is some desktop PCs do not provide standby power to the keyboard or to the USB connector. So you have to know something about the design of the motherboard. If it does not supply standby power to the keyboard, this not much you can do. The keyboard communicates with the computer only through software. There is no hardware switch on the keyboard that directly ties into the power supply.
                I hope this try to clarify what the problem here.
                EDIT: Here it is on You Tube.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTC9zEcATI
                « Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:38:24 PM by Geek-9pm »

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
                  OK, here goes. Both are HP Pavillion, one came with Windows 10 and one (5 years older) was upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and finally to 10. Each has a different version of Windows 10? I replaced the hard drive in the older computer last year with an almost identical drive that was removed. The newer one is maybe two years old. Both have an indication of standby power, one in the top front above the power button, the newer one on top which is the power button. Neither comes back on after a power interruption.  The newest one is a 3.0Gz 64 bit, Intel core i5, the older is a 3.3Gz 64 bit Intel core i3.
                  PS: The newer one has windows 1903 build 18362.592 and the older one is Windows 1809 build 47763.173 if that helps.
                  « Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:08:56 PM by jbubb »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »
                  The options you need to adjust are in the BIOS area.
                  Otherwise, look at the You Tube video about extending the power button to another place. That will work on any model.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
                    I'm sorry Geek9m but the replacement of the power button isn't my problem. I can reach the one I'm having trouble with fairly easy. It's why I should have to do it is what's bugging me. Both computer towers are at the same level as their monitors. I placed them that way for easy access to the CD?DVD drives and also easier access to all the attachments. I used to have the older computer on the floor sitting on a piece of particle board but found that aggravating if anything needed to be unplugged or changed in some way. Besides that, I felt it's a cleaner environment not being on the floor. My modem is on the floor which I wish wasn't but my router is on my computer desk. I appreciate the advice but doing the power button location change is kind of a waste considering that it would take away more space on my desk than it's worth. I'll just deal with it until I find out what's up. Again thanks for your responses and being so patient dealing with my petty complaints.