Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New CDRW-DVD-r drive, does not work properly  (Read 3512 times)

eliciaholly

New CDRW-DVD-r drive, does not work properly
« on: January 22, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
My CDRW drive recently broke on my compaq presario 6000 so I had it taken to a computer repair shop and replaced with a Lite On CDRW/DVD-R drive. they also wiped the harddrive clean for me. Since it's return, the software(nero) will not load on the computer(I run windows XP). Nor will any of my other software like the software that came with my printer. Also the DVD-R drive will not burn CD's and the computer repair man seems to think that my problem lies in my XP program on my computer. He believes if I reinstall the windows XP from a new copy (compaq installed the first one when it was shipped) that this would fix the problem and from then on everything should work fine. Do you believe this is my problem or is it something more intense and something to do with the DVD-r/cdrw drive itself? the windows XP program worked fine before he put this new drive in. Now suddenly he says I have a problem with my XP system. ANY help is greatly appreciated. thanks! ELICIA HOLLY

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: New CDRW-DVD-r drive, does not work properly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 07:17:53 PM »
Sounds like he's a quack  ;)  To me, it sounds like he owes you an opearting system, but that's just me. No software will install?

Flame

eliciaholly

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
My HP printer software won't load, my daughter's signlanguage software won't load and none of the software that came with the LITE On drive will load.  He says reinstall windows xp but the XP worked fine before he put this equipment in and wiped my drive clean.  I don't know that reinstalling windows xp will do me any good.  but I don't know where to turn either.   He took it back once and thought maybe the drive itself wasn't any good and replaced it with another one just like it but it did the same thing he says.   Now he's pretty much threw up his hands and said Here you go.  so I'm not sure what to do next to make this equipment function as it should.  

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 09:55:25 PM »
How did he "wipe your drive clean"?  If all he had to do was replace your optical drive, why aren't all your programs still on the computer? Sounds like he probably reinstalled XP himself after "wiping your drive clean" and did something wrong. May have installed the optical drive improperly or otherwise messed with your hardware.

Reinstalling XP may help if a copy or restore disk came with your computer.  You can look your computer up on the manufacturer's web-site ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/swPfinder?query=presario+6000&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en) to see what drivers may need to be downloaded / installed for your computer's built-in hardware if you're not using a factory restore disk that already includes the drivers. Doesn't look like you have too much to lose in giving it a try.

In any case, if the computer worked better when you brought it in than it did when you took it home...  this computer repair guy is obviously a quack and a crook. Consider contacting the Better Business Bureau or small claims court if a substantial amount of money was involved (above the price of the new drive which will probably work if installed correctly).

If reinstalling Windows XP doesn't work, or is more than you want to do.... You'll probably have to take it to someone else. Maybe you'll be able to get in writing what the first guy did wrong. Might help you get a refund. I agree with Flame. If XP was installed and working when you brought the machine in... the quack certainly owes you a copy of XP installed and WORKING on your machine. I'd still go elsewhere for  repairs to prevent any more damage from being done. If you end up having to pay for XP to be reinstalled...  add it to the quack's bill. It actually might be best to take it straight to someone else without trying to reinstall XP yourself. That way, you couldn't possibly be to blame for anything the new repair shop finds wrong.

Sorry to hear about this problem you're having. Nothing worse than the feeling of being so blatantly ripped-off!!! Happened to me more than once.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:25:02 PM by royphil345 »

eliciaholly

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:54:41 AM »
he used the restore disks that came with the computer to restore windows XP to my computer, but he says the XP that compaq put on there must be defective as it won't let him (or me) put nero on there and he's never seen a window's xp not let him put nero on it so reinstalling a new version of windows might fix that problem.   why suddenly I can't install my HP printer software that WAS on there before he cleaned everything off is unclear.  I plan on calling him today to find out more on that subject as I feel like he's just let me hanging high and dry with a computer part that isn't working correctly and if he were any kind of computer repair man, surely he would have had a copy of windows xp he could have put on my computer to see if that was the problem himself without me being out another $100 after he supposedly fixes the problem.   I'm definitely not happy with the results so far and he most definitely won't be working on my computer again or be referred but I sure would like to know the reasons why he says my computer was fine when it came in and now suddenly it's not when all it needed was a new CDR drive and a simple cleaning of clutter.  I have had my harddrive cleaned before and not lost everything.  this is a first for me.  I plan on calling another computer repair place today and getting some opinions from them as to what to do next as well.  but this man definitely won't be getting the third chance to make matters worse.  Sure would be nice though if he gave a refund on some of this mess he made but in his opinion the part he put in was good, the cleaning was good so it's my operating system that is bad.  Funny, it was good too when it came in! :-/

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 05:57:50 AM »
Tell him he owes you an operating system. Sounds like he messed up and is too proud or scared to admit it. I think becuase he started a job he shouldn't just blow it off... Lazy... See if anyone else who does computer work in your area can give you a free analysis?

Flame