Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will Microsoft Open-Source Windows 7?  (Read 10380 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Will Microsoft Open-Source Windows 7?
« on: February 17, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
At first I thought it was a joke.  :-\
Here is the link:
https://fossbytes.com/open-source-group-windows-7-source-code-blank-hard-drive/
The Free Software Foundation was aiming for at least 7,777 signatures in their petition to open-source Windows 7. However, they received overwhelming support from people with more than 13,000 signatures.

I want to roll my eyes.   ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Will Microsoft Open-Source Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
Well there goes my theory that no longer having a deranged socially backward pedophile defender in charge would make them less insane.

Though I suppose the people left are people who used to follow a deranged, socially backward pedophile defender, so I'm not sure what I expected.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:15:51 PM »
To early for April first. Really so the Free Software Foundation wants a copy of the source code which is millions of hours of intellectual property. Even with a billion signatures it isn't going to happen.  Perhaps Coke should be next to give the world the recipe for coca cola. 

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
BC_Programmer,
I had no idea of who he is:-[

BTW: Anybody can download a copy of the ISO for current versions of Windows.
You can reinstall Windows from scratch using the product key that came with your PC, but you’ll have to find installation media yourself. Microsoft offers free ISO files for downloading; you just have to know where to look.
https://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Here is a Microsoft link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

On eBay some vendors have the Product key for sale under $10 with a broken PC hardware. Read over carefully.  ;D
Really, I would not have time to ever read the source code.   :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »
BC_Programmer,
I had no idea of who he is:-[
I'm talking about Richard Stallman, the former "leader" (president?) of the FSF.

1. When Ulrich Drepper, maintainer of glibc, wanted to port it to Linux back when Linux was new, Richard Stallman was against it. To the point where he spread lies and rumours to other maintainers in a failed attempt to takeover the project and replace Ulrich with somebody who would do his bidding, and not port the project to Linux. Obviously that didn't happen, but to me that story just shows that he had the same ambition of control as any corporation would.

2. At one point, a maintainer wasn't able to make a change he wanted to be made, as they were busy since their wife had recently had a kid. After a number of other maintainers congratulated him, Stallman felt it was prudent to rant about how the single greatest thing anybody can do is contribute to free software (eg. Work for him) and then blabbered about overpopulation.

3. in 2013, Stallman said: "There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.". Which echoed a similar viewpoint he expressed in 2006 when commenting on a news item regarding a new pro-pedophilia political party being formed in Sweden. And more recently he defended one of the people accused of participating in *censored* assault of minors on Epstein's private Island. Rather poorly- " the most plausible scenario is that she presented herself to him as entirely willing.".

He also decided to "change his mind" on the matter, one that he staunchly defended for decades. It seems less likely to be due to "self-reflection" on the matter and more a case of him being concerned that his free couch at MIT wouldn't be available since he had attracted so much negative attention towards MIT for his wildly inappropriate comments.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
Speaking of open source windows operating system, how about ReactOS, which is an open source operating system aimed at being binary-compatible with computer programs and device drivers made for Windows Server 2003 and later versions of Windows?

Seems like ReactOS is still active, as September 23, 2019 is the last known release date of a version of the software.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
For more about Reactos:
https://reactos.org/
They have a Live CD version.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »
Don't matter what scoundrels are involved...Bottom line it ain't gonna happen.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "