Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing video adapter driver on Win 98  (Read 5795 times)

Zo

Installing video adapter driver on Win 98
« on: January 10, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »
Having a difficult time with video adapter (without it I cannot get on Internet Explorer).  Using Belarc advisor I see I'm looking for S3 TRIO 64 V2-DX/GX (775/785)...found one dated March 98 on the S3 site, which is older than the one I have, May 98; so it doesn't help.  
It also lists Diamond Stealth Pro when I right click on the desktop and go to properties, but I have not found anything on that one.  
I guess I have done everything correctly; downloaded the zip file (also downloaded Winzip and installed on the Compaq DP 400).  Unzipped the files, device manager, adapter, drivers, update, browse to unzipped file and since the file is older than what's there, nothing happens.  I had no luck looking at driversguide.  Is there any other place to find a driver?  Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Installing video adapter driver on Win 98
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
Re your colors displaying bad or something surely a video graphics cant stop you from getting on to the internet. Why when I reformat my computer and reinstall my OS no need to tell what it is It stays on 16 colors- not 16bit only 2 or 16 colors. I still manage to get online. Why do you think it is your video card that is causing you not to get online? Do you have a spyware scanner? Registry cleaner? Virus scanner?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
This was a very common video adapter on IBM PC300's and the driver is available on the net. I've had to go get it before. You do have to get he right one for your specific O/S. Is this the correct type of machine? I don't recall Compaq using that, as they used ATI Rage on their Deskpro's.

I agree that the video adapter has nothing to do with Internet. Are you on dialup or cable/dsl?

It looks like driverguide has it, and there are a few more possibilities:

http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/87/87139.htm

http://bebits.bebits.com/app/202

http://www.softlookup.com/driveauthor.asp?id=562

If that doesn't work out, just do a little google search. I did:

http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/87/87139.htm

Zo

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:28:07 PM »
Thank you for responding...I really appreciate it.  I probably could have been a little more clear.  
Windows98, this was a fresh reinstall and I was able to get on the Internet, just not able to update Windows.  First I had to update to IE6 but could not (even with a CD)...an error message would come up indicating a display error that always seems to go away after I load a newer video adapter driver or graphic driver (??)  I don't always know what I'm doing, but if it has worked in the past, I usually try it again.  (Not very exact am I?)
GX1_Man, thanks friend!  It works!!  I had gone to some of those same sites, but could only find the Windows 95 (even though they said they were for Windows 98 and XP)  I am now finished updating the computer.  It was one of those I've tried many times, off and on, and just could not give up on it.  I'm very glad to be able to put in back in a classroom.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »
Be sure and save that file somewhere. You will need it again someday, and it's easier to find in a desk drawer than on the internet! Glad you are fixed.  ;)

J0K3R

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »
ANY drivers that are downloaded should be kept somewhere easily accessible whether you burn them to CD or keep them on a second or external hard drive . Always keep any drivers  you download.