Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 7 update problems  (Read 14808 times)

ch409

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    windows 7 update problems
    « on: March 02, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »
    hello
    my dell desktop with windows 7 is not updating.
    when i go to control panel and select "updates" the dreaded wheel spin chokes the computer and i need to restart.

i do believe i know what the issue is.....
    years ago when windows was forcing the 10 update i erased the KB something ???? files to stop this. while it did cure the forced update to 10, my computer has not been updated in years.

i know its time to move on to 10 but until i set myself up with a new computer i would like to keep this 7 machine healthy.
    should i try to install the needed files and update or let well enough alone in light of the current choking issue when i hit the update icon?
    dont want to create a bigger problem.

thanks for any advice

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows 7 update problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »
    How much time and hard work do you want to invest?
    Microsoft no longer gives any free help for Windows 7 users. Maybe you might find somebody in you town that would like to help you out. But do not expect a technician to be able t o help you with Windows 7 now. You should have updated to windows 10 long ago. Windows 10 has good recovery tools, but that does not help you with Windows 7 at this pint.

My best advice is go buy a new or used Windows 10 computer. You can get a refurbished unit without monitor for f about $100. That is what you might pay to fix you old computer, but there is not sure way of knowing if you can do that.

Vetal

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »
      hello
      my dell desktop with windows 7 is not updating.
      when i go to control panel and select "updates" the dreaded wheel spin chokes the computer and i need to restart.

i do believe i know what the issue is.....
      years ago when windows was forcing the 10 update i erased the KB something ???? files to stop this. while it did cure the forced update to 10, my computer has not been updated in years.

i know its time to move on to 10 but until i set myself up with a new computer i would like to keep this 7 machine healthy.
      should i try to install the needed files and update or let well enough alone in light of the current choking issue when i hit the update icon?
      dont want to create a bigger problem.

thanks for any advice

Unless there is some update you absolutely cannot live without, take the old advice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The updates obsession is overblown. I been using XP Pro for over three years without even one malware infection, despite its 2014 EOL/EOS. By the way, the M$ promise/threat of no updates was malarkey, as most of what they say always is...I was being inundated with KB stealth-installs until I closed their backdoors into XP a year ago. Count yourself lucky, as it took me a lot more effort than deleting one KB to lock M$ out of my rig. From what I hear on the internet, they is up to their old tricks with Win 7 users, deploying a slew of KB stealth-installs to force upgrade to Win 8 or 10. As I am preparing to switch to Win 7 Pro, I have assembled a long list of KB nasties to block or uninstall. If you are worried about security, get a wired-only router with SPI & NAT firewall. I'd credit that with keeping my old XP bulletproof.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
      He's been gone since March...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "