Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet & WiFI not working.  (Read 110246 times)

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Internet & WiFI not working.
    « on: March 25, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »
    Hello!

After a recent CMOS battery reset, both my LAN and Wi-fi adapter have failed to work. Including a Wifi USB which I tried.  The wierd thing is that the PC recogniced the parts, yet can't run them, stating that there is a issue with drivers. This is wierd, since CMOS battery resets aren't supposed to delete current drivers.
    Every driver I install do not fix the issue, everything from the LAN drivers to the wireless adapter drivers. I might also add that USB wifi adapters don't work too. I'm suspecting a possible motherboard failure (perhaps ESD during the CMOS reseting), yet everything works fine except the internet.
    I have also checked that the Onboard WLAN is enabled in the BIOS.

Of course,  Motherboards aren't directly cheap and I would love any possible advice.
    Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Internet & WiFI not working.
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
    Any Yellow !!'s in Device Manager ? ?
    Where are you getting drivers from ? ?

Never heard of a CMOS battery re-set...i usually just replace them when weak.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »
      No yellows at all, which is the wierd part. All adapters are listed in Device Manager, yet not functional. I have installed etc drivers for my wireless adapter from asus official website (https://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC56/HelpDesk_Download/) and LAN adapter from Realteks official website. Nothing works. The very same drivers worked for me before the BIOS reset (via removing the CMOS battery).

After altering the memory frequency in the BIOS, the BIOS became impossible to access while booting (Monitor became pitch black).  So I decided to remove the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS settings. Which in hindsight seems like a bad decision. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
      Actually reverting the BIOS to default is a GOOD idea...since the mem timings didnt work...in future you can do this while in BIOS by pressing F10 and selecting set BIOS to defaults.
      It's possible the dongle has failed...just had 1 go bad here...borrow 1 from a neighbor...you'll know right away.
      As far as the Realtek i would still re-install the network drivers from the MBoard manuf. site...not Realtek

Keep us posted.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »
        I just updated the BIOS with the latest Asus drivers, yet with no avail.  I have also tried with inserting a Wi-Fi USB, which didn't work, receiving the same driver issues as the adapters. 

Alas, buying a new motherboard seems unescapable by this point.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:54:16 PM »
        Can you use the Ethernet connection?
        Do you have another computer?
        Do you have a smart phone that can get to the Internet?
        Do you have a working Wi-Fi in your house?

There are ways y to tie a smart phone and your PC together as a temporary test to see what does work.
         - Bluetooth
         - USB tether
         - Wi-Fi repeater with Ethernet
        Here is a link about Wi-Fi  repeaters.
        https://www.top10wifiboosters.com/us?adgrid=&campid=384077187&adgroupid=1268836984647992
         8)

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 02:44:18 AM »
          Ethernet connection does not work, as the PC refuses to run the functional LAN adapter.  A similar story regarding the wireless adapter and the external wireless USB which I connected.

I have multiple devices in the house with a functional internet connection, both wireless or by cable; including a second PC.
          Since I do not have BlueTooth on the PC, nor own a WiFi repeater (which would probably not work), I tried the USB tether-method which you listed.  Sadly, it did not do much better than the adapters, with the exact same issue. I did a run a Windows Diagnosis which gave me "Windows couldn’t automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter".
          For instance, I did try all possible fixes from this page (https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12658-windows-couldnt-automatically-bind-the-ip-protocol-stack-to-the-network-adapter) yet again with no results.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »
          You said...
          After a recent CMOS battery reset,
          So you have a PC that is over three years old?
          You may have not set the thing to the proper defaults after replacement of the battery.

What is the name and model of the trouble PC?

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
            The motherboard is an antique Asus M4A77 (https://www.asus.com/se/Motherboards/M4A77/).  I have checked that the WLAN option is enabled in BIOS,  aswell as updated it with the most recent drivers. Also,  I described it wrong; With a CMOS reset I actually meant BIOS reset, so I apologize.

BaseWellesley

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
              I forgot about this thread for quite a while, yet still wanted to provide how I solved this in hopes of helping anyone experiencing this issue. 

The problem was apparantly not hardware-related; as all the drivers started working again after a clean re-install of Windows in the PC. I  suspect that perhaps a windows update corrupted the drivers, as I read about such incidents at the time.  I sadly spent money for a new motherboard of the same modell as I was sure that it was a hardware issue, although these old stuff are rather cheap.