Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Persistent Computer Stuttering  (Read 19087 times)

Lonsol

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Persistent Computer Stuttering
    « on: April 10, 2020, 02:20:50 AM »
    I've been having issues with my computer for the past few months due to periodic stuttering. Every minute or so, the computer's audio and cursor will stutter for a split second. It's really jarring especially since I listen to a lot of music. I've tried seemingly everything to fix the issue including:
    - Uninstalling my Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them
    - Disabling "dynamictick" in Command Prompt
    - Disabling any services I don't need in services.msc
    - Disabling any startup programs that might affect performance
    - Disabling "high precision event timer" in Device Manager

Does anyone know what might be the problem? What's weird is that sometimes my computer is fine while others it's stuttering what feels like every minute.

LatencyMon has shown that I'm getting large latency spikes. I'm not sure if this has any correlation, but I'll post the results anyway.

Here are my computer specs in case anyone was curious. It's an old computer tower I bought back in 2011 with a few upgrades over the years. A bit dated, but the computer was working fine up until the stuttering became a problem.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Persistent Computer Stuttering
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:34:04 PM »
    Hello

There is a couple of things the H61 chipset in your computer did have problems with drop outs using the ethernet port on Windows 10. Does your Dell have wireless if so do you experience the problem with using wireless with the ethernet disabled ?

Also there is 2 updated drivers you may not have found here  https://www.dell.com/support/home/nz/en/nzbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4dgwn

Also was the Windows 10 an upgrade or a clean install. If it was a clean install is the device manager clear exclamation marks ?
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Lonsol

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »
      Hello

There is a couple of things the H61 chipset in your computer did have problems with drop outs using the ethernet port on Windows 10. Does your Dell have wireless if so do you experience the problem with using wireless with the ethernet disabled ?

Also there is 2 updated drivers you may not have found here  https://www.dell.com/support/home/nz/en/nzbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4dgwn

Also was the Windows 10 an upgrade or a clean install. If it was a clean install is the device manager clear exclamation marks ?
      My Dell does have wireless. After disabling my ethernet, installing the drivers, and restarting my computer, the stuttering is still present. However, it's much less frequent and the stutters have gotten shorter.

My computer was upgraded to Windows 10. It had Windows 7 when I first bought it.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:19:14 AM »
      Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you have any way to test the Hard drive. There is a program Benchme which will test the hard drive speed it's available from here http://www.benchbench.com/
      Can you run this please and post some screen captures.
      Also if you could post the link to the whole speccy report using File then publish report and copy the link address to the report here.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Lonsol

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 02:20:41 AM »
        Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you have any way to test the Hard drive. There is a program Benchme which will test the hard drive speed it's available from here http://www.benchbench.com/
        Can you run this please and post some screen captures.
        Also if you could post the link to the whole speccy report using File then publish report and copy the link address to the report here.
        I ran that Benchme program. Below are the results.

Here's a link to my computer specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ufJS1R1T5R76iQVcLD2SQbv

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »
        Thanks for the info,

The benchme result is a little bit slower than i would expect on your machine. If you run it a few times do the results change. Areas on the disk at 115 ms access time is very poor and would suggest there is a lot to be gained by replacing the hard drive. As your 2 Tb Seagate external drive and the 1 tb internal drive are almost full. It is a lot of data to fit somewhere. The speccy report doesn't show any thing which would be causing the problem.

My feeling is it is a computer designed for Windows 7 upgraded or now running Windows 10 you could start spending money on it but maybe it would be easier to look at a new computer.   
        ― John Bunyan

Lonsol

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 02:48:11 AM »
          Thanks for the info,

The benchme result is a little bit slower than i would expect on your machine. If you run it a few times do the results change. Areas on the disk at 115 ms access time is very poor and would suggest there is a lot to be gained by replacing the hard drive. As your 2 Tb Seagate external drive and the 1 tb internal drive are almost full. It is a lot of data to fit somewhere. The speccy report doesn't show any thing which would be causing the problem.

My feeling is it is a computer designed for Windows 7 upgraded or now running Windows 10 you could start spending money on it but maybe it would be easier to look at a new computer.
          Unfortunately the stuttering is back to its usual self, happening every minute or so. I have a 2 TB SSD lying around, but I need to bring my computer to someone to have it installed. I'm not familiar with installing computer parts. :P

I did a few more trials with BenchMe; the results are attached to the post.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »
          Hi

Well getting the 2 TB hard drive fitted will make a big difference to how the computer pro forms. The Hard drive is not the cause of the problem so don't expect the SSD to necessarily fix the stuttering. If you do get a tech to fix the SSD make sure they copy your 1 TB hard drive to the SSD with a single partition of 1.8 TB it it good to leave some free space for the SSD work space. Make sure they give you back the old drive. A tech should also be able to investigate the stuttering.
          ― John Bunyan