Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 95 Comp says no CDrom when I have one  (Read 4062 times)

Cathy Wargo

Win 95 Comp says no CDrom when I have one
« on: August 09, 2004, 10:13:18 PM »
This is a Win 95 system and I just got the computer from a company going under. It has a cd-rom loaded but it doesn't detect one in hardware search nor is it in the Cmos set up either.  I have no disks with the computer. I tried to install a generic cd rom driver(not sure of brand) with no luck. I do know it is a 32X. I don't know if I did it correctly or not I have always had the correct driver/disk.
I can open the case and find out the brand but then what should I do. I will check the connections. The Cd-rom does have power it opens and takes a cd just won't play it.
Thanks!
Cathy

Addy

Re: Win 95 Comp says no CDrom when I have one
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 04:04:13 AM »
As you said, check the connections and also check the jumpers (master/slave/cable select)

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:58:57 PM »
they may have stripped the o/s from it?what happens if you boot your pc and hit the safe mode f5 key....anything..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 04:00:05 PM by merlin_2 »

Cathyann

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:19:35 AM »
No they did not take out the O/S everything else works great just won't let me use the cd player for anything door opens light comes on but the computer doesn't know it is there???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:51:07 AM »
You should replace the cables leading to the CD-ROM drive.

Or install another CD-ROM drive to test the cables you currently have.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »
type msinfo32 in the run box it should tell what cdrom drive you have or my computer icon right-click /properties tab/ click device manager cdrom drive+ sign