Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comparing Files in One Directory to Many  (Read 3635 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Comparing Files in One Directory to Many
« on: May 12, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
I really want to get a ton of photos off my phone.

I have moved a bunch of them into folders on my hard drive, but not all.

I know how to compare two directories, but here's what I'm curious about:

If I have one folder, with, say, 1,000 pictures in it (or any file, really) - let's call it "Master". And then I have a dozen folders ("Sub 1", "Sub 2"... "Sub N"), each with 300 pictures in them. How can I sift through and highlight all of the files in Master that are duped in all of the Subs, without having to go folder by folder?

Argh. I can't even figure how to make my question make sense.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Comparing Files in One Directory to Many
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:12:21 AM »
    You can try software such as dupeGuru.

https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net/

Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
    Thanks. It's been running for a while. This looks like it will do what I ask! Will report back once it's done.
    Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 05:37:07 PM »
    I set it up with a subdirectory on my c: drive where I copied all my phone pics, and compared it to the external directory where I had everything backed up.

It returned a list - a brilliant list - of every duplicate within that external directory (and didn't highlight anything on the c:, and I'm sure there's dupes in tehre).

I need to figure out how to configure it to list everything in that C: subdir that is NOT copied somewhere else.... I am sure it will do it, just gotta play some more.

Took about five hours to scan and build the list.