Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB stick is not showing up, but can't find anything wrong - help please  (Read 4440 times)

JustMeee

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hope this is the right place.

I have a USB stick. A newer version Windows 10 was put on it months ago because windows would not update, so that way I could just install it off the usb.

So the problem now is I wan to erase that and replace it by putting the most recent version of Windows 10 on that USB because the one that is already on it is outdated.

Here's the problem:
    When I plug the USB stick in, it makes the noise that a new device is connected, but it will not show up anywhere.
    I have tried diskpart, it does not show up.
    Does not show up anywhere else at all.
    Tried uninstalling USB drivers and letting them reinstall via device manager, no difference - but I don't think that's the problem.
    When I put in another usb with docs and other various files on it, that WILL show up.
    I also have a second usb stick which also has windows bootable on it, again an older version, and that one will also not show up anywhere either including under diskpart, just like the first one. So I suspect it has something to do with those being bootable windows since the documents usb works fine. So It doesn't seem to be the port, and the sticks should be fine too because the computer does make a sound when connecting and removing ALL of them, and they are 2 different manufacturer sticks. It's just the ones that have windows bootable on them that won't show up, so I can't erase them and put an updated version on one of them.

I want to try and get this resolved first. I was told to do this because windows update keeps failing and we tried it multiple ways.

For me, this is the last attempt to get this updated and see if that resolves the crashes I've been getting. So I need help please. My budget is low, so I really can't afford to just keep buying usb sticks. I want to just write over the one with the old windows version and put the updated one on it.

Can anyone give me instructions please how to clean the boot usb so I can put the new Windows on it SAP please?

Second question:
    If I can get this done, and then still have the same problems as before after updating Windows 10 (if I can), I'm thinking to try Tails with an Windows emulator for my games and would need help with that - if I do that, would I be able to get help here?

Thanks very much. Have a wonderful, healthy day.