Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default  (Read 44556 times)

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default
    « on: May 15, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
    Windows 10 was fine few days ago and everything was alright and no problems until someday, I noticed that my laptop shut down itself then when I restarted it, I got that automating repair thing, and I kept getting it everytime I restart the laptop, so I knew the laptop had problems and I had to format it and reinstall windows 10, after reinstalling windows 10, I tried to install the updates which contain my 2 GPUs (Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7400M) and after that the resolution changed to 1600x900 which is my screen's resolution, but after the updates finished, they required me to restart the laptop so I did but after I did, laptop passed the spinning wheel of windows and after that, the screen went BLACK and the logon screen didn't come, so I had to restart it, and everytime I restart it, the screen is black as I said, so I did a system restore and everything worked but the resolution was the default one.

So my problem here is that when installing graphics drivers for AMD and Intel, screen goes black even after the restart, but when using Windows Display Adapter, everything is fine.

Things I tried:
    System restore
    Safe boot with networking to install/uninstall drivers
    Startup repair
    Installing latest drivers

And honestly I dont know what is the problem and I really want a solution for it, any help is really appreciated as I've been stuck with this problem for over 2 days

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »
    Hi

You need to install the drivers for your laptop from the laptop manufacture. If you would like to post the make and model numbers for the laptop we can check for the correct drivers and maybe if it is a Lenovo HP or Dell there is tools from these manufactures to diagnose and install the correct drivers.

So the first thing is the make and model please and Windows 10 version.   
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
      Thanks for the reply, but I already installed the drivers many times and even in safe mode but after I do, screen goes black and when I restart the laptop, screen is black again so I have to restart many times and after the last restart, screen goes back to default which is by microsoft.

But my windows 10 version is x64 and my laptop is HP ProBook 4730s

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
      I wonder where you are getting the windows 10 drivers from as HP didn't write drivers for the HP ProBook 4730s running windows 10. And the drivers from microsoft cause your problem.
      The Laptop should be running Windows 7 or 8.1 not Windows 10.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 05:14:49 AM »
        I wonder where you are getting the windows 10 drivers from as HP didn't write drivers for the HP ProBook 4730s running windows 10. And the drivers from microsoft cause your problem.
        The Laptop should be running Windows 7 or 8.1 not Windows 10.
        I actually got the drivers from HP and I selected windows 8.1 version, not w10 but the thing is I don't know where to get the drivers, could you help me please?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
        When i google "HP ProBook 4730s problems running windows 10" I get 1000's of hits with problems and no solutions. The Laptop has support for windows 7 or 8, you need to run either of those 2 versions for reliable operation or look for another laptop which is supported to run Windows 10.
        ― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »
          When i google "HP ProBook 4730s problems running windows 10" I get 1000's of hits with problems and no solutions. The Laptop has support for windows 7 or 8, you need to run either of those 2 versions for reliable operation or look for another laptop which is supported to run Windows 10.
          The thing is that everything was working properly before even when using windows 10 so I think what you said is wrong

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »
          So load Windows 7 or 8.1 from the HP recovery partition or the recovery disks. As shown here https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c01867418
          Don't expect a generic Windows with you installing the drivers is going to work use the HP installation . Then do the upgrade to Windows 10, but run windows 10 without doing any updates. Because as soon as you install the updates for windows 10 you will start having problems.

Your Laptop is not supported to run Windows 10.

If you are not sure of my advice then perhaps contact Microsoft or HP  or read the posts on the net.

― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 04:31:11 AM »
            So load Windows 7 or 8.1 from the HP recovery partition or the recovery disks. As shown here https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c01867418
            Don't expect a generic Windows with you installing the drivers is going to work use the HP installation . Then do the upgrade to Windows 10, but run windows 10 without doing any updates. Because as soon as you install the updates for windows 10 you will start having problems.

If you are not sure of my advice then perhaps contact Microsoft or HP  or read the posts on the net.

Seems like my laptop doesn't support windows 10 but thanks for the help anyways

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »

and by the way, if I install windows 8.1 and then after that I install windows 10 and when I disable the updates in windows 10, will my laptop be back to normal?

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »

Now I know what's the problem, I installed windows 8.1 x64 and after that, I installed intel hd graphics 3000 driver from windows update and it went fine, then when I tried to install the AMD driver that I got from HP site I believe, it detected the driver as AMD 7470m while mine is 7400m, and after that the black screen came so the whole problem is in the AMD driver, do you know where I could find an AMD Radeon 7400m driver for windows 8.1 x64?

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 04:10:43 AM »
                  And it's still the same problem, even when I installed windows 8.1 and then I tried to install the drivers from windows update and also from the HP site but the black screen doesn't wanna leave me alone, I ran out of ideas and idk the fix tbh

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                  • My first real computer
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »
                  Please read back thru my posts.

In brief. You need to load the HP install for the laptop either windows 7 or 8.1. Not a generic windows with you installing the drivers yourself.

Then you will know if the AMD graphics is being enabled when needed, and that it hasn't failed which is likely given the age of the Laptop and that it is AMD graphics.

Once again if you don't believe me then google re solder amd graphics chip.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37QV0EZXQI

At this stage since you haven't loaded the HP installation you don't know if it is a hardware fault (Most likely) or a driver issue.
                  ― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 04:30:06 AM »
                    But If I do so, I'm gonna lose my files on the drive D, right?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                    • My first real computer
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
                    Windows 10 was fine few days ago and everything was alright and no problems until someday, I noticed that my laptop shut down itself then when I restarted it, I got that automating repair thing, and I kept getting it everytime I restart the laptop, so I knew the laptop had problems and I had to format it and reinstall windows 10, after reinstalling windows 10, I tried to install the updates which contain my 2 GPUs (Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7400M) and after that the resolution changed to 1600x900 which is my screen's resolution, but after the updates finished, they required me to restart the laptop so I did but after I did, laptop passed the spinning wheel of windows and after that, the screen went BLACK and the logon screen didn't come, so I had to restart it, and everytime I restart it, the screen is black as I said, so I did a system restore and everything worked but the resolution was the default one.

So my problem here is that when installing graphics drivers for AMD and Intel, screen goes black even after the restart, but when using Windows Display Adapter, everything is fine.

And honestly I dont know what is the problem and I really want a solution for it, any help is really appreciated as I've been stuck with this problem for over 2 days

I have read your original post again and i would go back to the diagnoses that the laptop can't use the display drivers on windows 10, this is well documented. And there seems no cure. The Laptop is stuck as windows 7/8.1 vintage.   

― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »
                      I have read your original post again and i would go back to the diagnoses that the laptop can't use the display drivers on windows 10, this is well documented. And there seems no cure. The Laptop is stuck as windows 7/8.1 vintage.
                      I installed windows 8.1 and I installed the gpu drivers from windows update but it still shows black screen after installing them or when restarting the laptop

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      • Experience: Beginner
                      « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »
                      STOP usin Win update for drivers...especially on a laptop...They should only come from the laptop manuf. site...Period.
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                      • My first real computer
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 09:29:01 PM »
                      I installed windows 8.1 and I installed the gpu drivers from windows update but it still shows black screen after installing them or when restarting the laptop

Are you ever going to try with the HP recovery media ? Until you do you can't confirm the diagnoses of a driver issue or hardware failure.
                      ― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
                        Are you ever going to try with the HP recovery media ? Until you do you can't confirm the diagnoses of a driver issue or hardware failure.
                        Sorry for the late reply but I already gave the computer to a technician so I'm hoping he fixes the problem

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 12:59:21 PM »
                          Alright, after he's done, he installed windows 7 and he installed driver for Intel HD Graphics 3000 only but he didn't install a driver for the AMD 7400m because if he does, there'll be black screen, do you know where should I get the AMD 7400m driver? and can I install windows 10 and use it only with the Intel HD Graphics 3000? hope you reply as soon as possible

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                          • My first real computer
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:35 PM »
                          Hi

Yes you can run with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and ignore using the AMD graphics. And no you can't run windows 10 on the laptop even with ignoring the AMD graphics drivers.
                          I would hope the technician installed the HP image for your laptop. If you are hunting down drivers i suspect it was the same method you used.

If it was the HP image and the AMD graphics are not working then it is a hardware fault as was suggested earlier.

― John Bunyan

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 02:31:25 AM »
                            Hi

Yes you can run with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and ignore using the AMD graphics. And no you can't run windows 10 on the laptop even with ignoring the AMD graphics drivers.
                            I would hope the technician installed the HP image for your laptop. If you are hunting down drivers i suspect it was the same method you used.

If it was the HP image and the AMD graphics are not working then it is a hardware fault as was suggested earlier.
                            My best bet is to sell the laptop and get another one that supports windows 10, and thanks for your help and time, I really appreciate that

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                            • My first real computer
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
                            Yes I think getting a new one is a great idea. If you have a make/model in mind post a link to it for some advice.
                            If you don't need the portability of a laptop perhaps also consider an ALL in One like this one.

Lenovo IdeaCentre A340 All-in-one Desktop PC (i3)

― John Bunyan