Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with installing apps in Windows 10 - Caused by the Trojan wlanext.exe?!  (Read 5552 times)

eric202010

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello Folks! - I've got this pretty tricky Windows 10 Problem.  :o ???

A few weeks ago I suddenly discovered that my PC got hot every time I had it logged online, so I opened the Task Manager where I saw that the processor was charged by as much as 35%!(AMD) although I only had a browser running. When I scrolled down the list of running applications I saw an unknown clown-like icon - the application was named wlanext.exe - I have not seen it before and had no idea what it was for. This application alone used about 25%! of the processor power. After reading a little about it here on the web, I have understood that I'm not the only one who has been visited by this clown.

Some experts say that it's completely harmless, and others that it's not - it's a Trojan! and it should be removed. I have now also understood that it is completely harmless to have C/windows/system32/wlanext.exe present - but C/windows/wmu3/wlanext.exe is not! ...and it should be removed. Inside the wmu3 folder there's also another small application called ZeroConfigService.exe - it can also (after what I have understood) be removed - so just go ahead and remove the wmu3-folder and everything that's in it!

What is quite disturbing here is that an updated Windows Defender did not give any notice about the fact that these applications were present - and active! in the system! despite, several thorough runs. Is this something Microsoft has approved?- or are they in on this? ...I'm just asking  ::)  However, another well-known applications did a great job - the intruders was quickly discovered and swept out!

Now, after these applications have been removed, my computer is no longer a heat source in the house :)  But I still wonder what they did here, where they've come from, and how they got in here.

In my search for these invaders, I accidentally managed to partly delete a small application. No big problem, I thought - I just have to remove the rest and do a reinstall, I have everything I need - the installer and otherwise all the other stuff I got sent when it was purchased ...installation code and sn etc.

But it wasn't at all that simple. ::) The application was reinstalled in the usual way, the registry dialog provided with a code/sn and user name - and then ...Hurray! it was up and running! ;D Now everything seemed to be back to normal again. I closed it - but to be absolutely sure that everything was really back in order, I restarted it, just to discover that it was not - I only got a new dialog for registration! - covering the application interface. So I went through the same reg-stuff once again, with the same result ...and a few more times, but no, every time I had to enter code/sn and user name etc. to get it started - and when it did, it was neither as a demo nor a trial, but quite normal - just as it has always been. I then contacted the company I had bought the application from, and gave them the same story i have told here. From them the message was clear, everything I had done was absolutely right - now it should have run as normal. They offered generously to send me the latest version - but the result was still negative. Then I tried with another application, from another manufacturer, same procedure - but also here with the same negative result - it simply wouldn't let itself register!

It now seems that applications installed before I got visited by wlanext.exe and ZeroConfigService.exe, works perfectly normal. But now it's simply just not possible to register installed programs! So I'm left with a bad feeling that this mess is what ZeroConfigService.exe and wlanext.exe have left behind - pretty badly done! ::)

I have very little desire to get started with a full new installation of the OS etc. - pretty bad experience with almost endless, forced and unstable windows 10 updates would be the main reason ...no wonder I have windows Update Stop! installed here. :-*

So it's with great thanks to all I welcome both thoughts and speculations around these problems ...and for what reason I ended up getting them - and of course, suggestions on what I can do to get this Windows 10 installation fresh again.

Eric

PS
    I have tried a little with the windows 10 tools - also, the registry have been checked and defragmented with the Windows 10 Manager.
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:42:27 AM by eric202010 »

eric202010

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner

S O L V E D ! 8) ...and thanx for helping out. :-*