Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with installing Linux on older Laptop  (Read 140091 times)

doktorfrank

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help with installing Linux on older Laptop
    « on: May 27, 2020, 12:52:02 AM »
    Hope to get some help. I am new to Linux and wanted to get my old laptop some new life but i have tried with a few different variances of linux without any success. For the most time thje screen just freezes in the installation process. But the last time i got the message "kernel Panic". See attached photo of the screen.
    I have windows 10 Pro installed with 3 partitions (2 with NTFS and one with Fat32) on an ASUS laptop with Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5850 2.16 GHz and 3gb RAM, 32bit operating system, x64-based processor.
    I dont know what is going on when it just freezes and i have tried with both Linux 32bit and 64 bit versions. Hope to get some help. :O

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Help with installing Linux on older Laptop
      « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
      It looks like the panic was caused because TPM is enabled, but TPM does not recognize Linux as a valid OS.

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a Secure Boot feature included in some motherboard BIOS. It prevents the user from booting from a "non-trusted" operating system. It's a corporate feature that prevents you from installing a custom operating system on the computer. When combined with a password-protected BIOS, it prevents a malicious user with physical access to the computer from inserting a removable disk and installing a new OS or even booting from a Live USB.

Try disabling Secure Boot/TPM in your BIOS before installing Linux.
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

doktorfrank

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:21:04 AM »
        Hi Nil
        Thanks for your help. Unfortunatly i dont have that possibility in my Bios settings. Its a desktop from 2009.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:52:40 AM »
        From what I can find it is an issue with newer Linux Kernels, certain older Intel processors, and bad firmware. It advertises processor features incorrectly, which causes this sort of problem when those features are used. You might try seeing if there is a newer firmware version available for that system.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:04 AM »
          One thing to try (I see you have an Asus laptop) from a thread on the Linux Mint forums.

I solved the problem, i couldn't install any linux distribution, on the ubuntu forums they says some asus computers have this problem. The solve is ;

Go to bios > Security> I / O interface Security> "New interface card" or so. Set it to locked.

It works for me and other asus laptop owners on ubuntu forums.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=198561
          Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Voidroid

• Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »
            Hi Nil
            Thanks for your help. Unfortunatly i dont have that possibility in my Bios settings. Its a desktop from 2009.

Do you have a BIOS option to enable / disable Windows 8 / 8.1 features? Secure Boot is sometimes enabled in there by default on some older BIOSs.