Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange bug  (Read 22773 times)

abcdef123456

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Strange bug
    « on: May 29, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »
    I'm having a strange error where I consistently can't click on almost anything.  Even when I hover over things they don't light up.  If I press Ctrl Alt Del and then hit Cancel the issue will go away for a while.  For some reason it has fairly little impact when I'm playing games, but it happens all the time in Chrome or Discord or Windows Explorer.  Recently, Chrome has started going back to my previous page without being told to do so (unsure if this is related).

It's not my mouse, I've tried killing many processes in the Task Manager, and none of those seemed to affect it.  I've tried restarting.  I've done basic Google searches for this issue and thus tried SFC/DISM to no effect.  Even when I can't click on things I seem to be able to use my keyboard to navigate. 

I would really appreciate any help you can give.  I'm somewhat worried there is malware on my machine and it is very annoying to have to press Ctrl Alt Del every 15 min.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      Re: Strange bug
      « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
      It sounds like something running on your computer is stealing your focus (the "focused" window is the one in the foreground, that accepts your input). If so, it could be a service or a program running in the background, that doesn't show any window, but still "Steals" your focus by putting other programs in the "background" (unfocused) when it performs some background operation.

I'd try running Malwarebytes to scan for malware/grayware. Malwarebytes is free to use for 14 days.

I'd also go through your list of installed apps (Settings -> Apps) and uninstall anything you didn't install yourself, that you're sure you don't need.

Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:11:44 PM »
      Also how are you convinced it's not your mouse ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

abcdef123456

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:10 AM »
        Thanks for the insight!  I downloaded MalwareBytes and it found 3 items and quarantined them, but that didn't fix the problem.  I'll try uninstalling anything I don't need and see if that helps.

I'm confident its not the mouse because it's the same whether I use my wireless physical mouse or the built-in track pad of the laptop.

abcdef123456

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:56:06 PM »
          I uninstalled many things and no luck yet.

One other thing I noticed that might be useful.  It happens immediately upon startup, and I can click on things on my desktop.  I just can't click on anything on the bottom bar or the start menu.  This isn't the case every time, but often. 

It's also gotten worse such that even when I press Ctrl Alt Del I am unable to hit Cancel.  The button just doesn't seem to work, and I have to Esc out of it.  Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
            « Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:35:26 AM »
            When there is a problem that makes the system unusable, you should consider reinstalling the operating system. If I were you I would make sure all my important information on the computer is backed up to the cloud or to a removable disk, then I would re-install Windows from the system disk that came with my computer.

If you don't have your original system disks, and you're using Windows 10, you can create a Windows 10 installation/repair disk using the instructions here: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000333.htm

--Effective Go

OliverYY

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:52 AM »
              Have you ever uninstalled all drivers in Windows 10?
              • Open Run with Windows shortcut keys Win + R.
                Type into control and hit the Enter key.
                In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.
                Right-click the driver and select Uninstall.
              you can live once

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 05:22:10 AM »
              Ignore the above post.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
              • My first real computer
                • Yes
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »
              This can happen if you have installed or have reamendments  of more than 1 anti virus program.

Check in add remove programs for antivirus programs and remove any except 1.

You can do the next steps yourself or run a program called speccy and someone will check the report. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
              To publish the report for review after the program runs go file publish report and copy the url here.

Check the c drive is not running short of space. Properties on the C drive. Normally 20 GB free is minimum

How much memory does the computer have if you press ctrl alt delete and check performance is there 1 or more G's of memory free

You could try the computer in safe mode Windows 10: Hold Shift while clicking Restart on the “Power Options” submenu of the Start Menu.
              Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart. Press the “4” key when you see the Startup Settings screen.

If it works ok in safe mode a windows refresh might be an option. this link explains it better than I can

https://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
              ― John Bunyan

abcdef123456

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
                I think I'll try reinstalling the operating system after I buy a flash drive.  Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where I can't even go online or use windows explorer because after a few seconds it goes back to the previous page automatically.  I don't believe it has anything to do with focus.  I downloaded a program (I don't remember the name) that tracked focus, and the focus was always on what was expected, even when i couldn't click on anything.

I tried opening in safe mode - it never pressed back automatically in chrome or windows explorer in safe mode, but it did prevent me from clicking on anything several times, which is the main issue.  Is there anything to be learned from still encountering the error even in safe mode?  Should I still plan to just reimage the computer?

Edit: It also presses Back automatically in the Control Panel which makes it really difficult to uninstall things.  I have about 2 seconds to click on what I want to uninstall.  I don't know if that's relevant at all.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                • My first real computer
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:31:28 PM »
                Normally if the computer works OK in safe mode it is unlikely it is a hardware problem, most likely drivers. This is a very general statement and doesn't apply in all cases.

I assumed this was a desktop computer. If it is a Laptop it could be a problem with the track pad which even reloading will not fix. Most laptops have a hardware switch to turn the track pad off perhaps try that.

The speccy report would tell me a lot about the problem and would give you a lot of info to help reload windows.
                You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
                ― John Bunyan

abcdef123456

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 02:55:23 AM »
                  Well, I re-imaged the computer and the primary problem went away (not being able to click on things).  However when I opened up Edge and the problem of hitting "Back" constantly still persisted.  At that point I realized it must be hardware, and I remembered that my external mouse has a back button on it that I never use.  Turns out it was jammed!  Fixed that, and my computer is without issue.  Thanks for all the help!

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
                    « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »
                    Glad you got it all sorted out  :)

--Effective Go