Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot a Modern Computer Into True DOS Using a Flash Drive  (Read 2975 times)

Nev71

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Boot a Modern Computer Into True DOS Using a Flash Drive
    « on: September 19, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
    I have a couple of old MS DOS programs I still have to run, and thanks to the program called Rufus I was able to make a bootable Flash Drive with a DOS system added. I can boot up and run a DOS system on any computer that uses the XP, Vista or Windows 7 operating systems. This way the DOS program is running in full screen and true (not quasi) DOS.

Such operating systems mentioned above use the MBR boot system however modern computers today with Windows 10 installed use the UEFI boot system I'm told. With that system, a flash drive made up using Rufus for DOS operation will not boot up that type of computer.

So, can anybody please tell me if there is any program or way to overcome this problem? My older computer with the Windows 7 operating system is not going to last forever so I need to get this true DOS going on a modern laptop if it's possible.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Boot a Modern Computer Into True DOS Using a Flash Drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:16:22 PM »
    Turn off UEFI
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nev71

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
      Thanks for a reply patio.  You suggested I turn off the UEFI boot system.  I gather that is done by going into the BIOS to achieve that.  If you could provide some instructions on how to go about it that would be appreciated. Now if the UEFI boot system is turned off, how does Windows 10 still manage to boot up?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »
      Hi Nev

Yes if you turn off UEFI then Windows 10 may not boot. Most bios get round this by having an option to use both legacy/uefi. There is other setting like csm which need to be set. and turn off secure boot.
      In an asus bios this page shows you how:

https://www.isumsoft.com/it/how-to-boot-my-computer-asus-from-usb-in-uefi-bios/#:~:text=To%20do%20this%2C%20hold%20the,to%20the%20BIOS%20you%20need.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 05:55:36 AM »
      Curious also as to how this DOS flash drive was created...ver. etc....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nev71

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
        Hi Lisa_maree.  We meet again with a different problem.  Well I'll have a go at changing over to the legacy boot system if I can find some detailed instructions on how to go about it.  I haven't actually bought this modern Windows 10 laptop yet.  That will happen in about six months time. Also I would love to change the operating system over to Windows 7 Ultimate when I get it. Apparently that is possible but not exactly easy to achieve. I do have some good instructions on how to turn off the secure boot on Windows ten.

Now patio.  The first time I created a bootable flash drive with a DOS operating system on it I used a program called "HP USB Disk" but it doesn't provide the MS DOS files required. The user has to dig up those from somewhere.  Later I found out about Rufus which does supply the files. I see the latest version is 3.7, but even it doesn't provide a UEFI boot system to work in conjunction with a DOS system on the flash drive.  Perhaps that is impossible to achieve.