Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: X99 Freezes and Restarts  (Read 2091 times)

xununovu

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    X99 Freezes and Restarts
    « on: October 04, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
    Hello all,
    Been a while since I've had to tap into your knowledge base. I've learned a lot from you guys and through much experience and trial and error I've been able to solve most of my computer building problems on my own so much so that I now do computer building for a living since I have to stay home with my son for "distance learning."

This issue is with my own personal gaming rig, and it's most frustrating because it's a bit of a one-off build on a x99 socket and I don't have a spare motherboard or processor for this socket to test and rule out components.

Specs are as follows:
    Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe (LGA 2011 ver 3)
    CPU: i7-5930k
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water3.0 (360mm)
    RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 4 2x8 GB 2800 MHz installed in slots A1 and C1 in dual channel. (I originally had 8 sticks of RGB RAM installed but in chasing this issue I installed known good RAM that is on the QVL list to rule this out)
    GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 Ti
    Boot Drive: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512 GB
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD
    PSU: Corsair RM1000 (I know that's a bit much, lol)

The issue: The computer will randomly freeze visual output for about 3-5 seconds, and restart the computer on it's own. No BSOD or error tones or messages. During the period of freezing, if there is audio playing, the audio will continue as normal even though the screen is frozen. As far as overclocking and XMP profiles go, it will do this with or without overclocking or XMP profiles. It can freeze after 3 minutes of usage or 3 hours, it's very random. I can be just idle on the desktop or in a full gaming experience, it doesn't seem to have a preference. One thing I tried was moving the SSD off of a 4x PCIE card onto the actal M.2 slot on the board (it's one of those weird vertical slots and I don't have the holder for it so, I prefer to have it on the card to avoid me accidentally damaging my system with my clumsy hands.) - same issue. I also tried reformatting as the OS used to be on a Ryzen system, and I've had problems in the past with Ryzen software and drivers causing problems for Intel systems, so I thought I'd give that a try. Also, as I stated before I used to be using 8 sticks of RGB RAM and swapped down to the RAM kit listed above. According to HW monitor, nothing is overheating, and physically nothing feels hot. I'm close to just swapping out the motherboard and processor for a Z390 and a i5-9600k, but I'd like to get this figured out before it comes to that.

Speccy for those of you who know what to do with it.
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tdR8C3d8RadKiEpOVANe0Mk/