Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with windows 10  (Read 3910 times)

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Help with windows 10
    « on: November 09, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
    Is there a recommended WIN 10 book for seniors?   I don't have a local tutor and just turning on the pc, wants me to just turn it off.   I tried to remove BING  no luck.   Before taking it back to a local tech,  I would like to try making changes myself to get a nice almost blank screen with only items I put on.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help with windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »
    I would just perform Google searches for each thing you want to do. For example, if you want Windows 10 to look more like Windows 7, do a search for that ("make windows 10 look like windows 7). Downloading and using "Open Shell" (formerly Classic Shell) is the first thing you should do and should make you feel much better very quickly.

I don't know what you mean by "removing Bing". Bing is a search engine. If you don't like it, just use Google instead.

If there is anything specific with which you continue to have problems, just ask and we'll do our best to help.

Base10

Beginner
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »

Hey there,

I found this link.  Its a video guide to Windows 10 for beginners.  There is a yellow circle with the little arrow, just watch where they move it along the screen, as the person is using it to show you different things.  As Allan said on here is full of people willing to help, so if you get stuck just make a post and you'll get help pretty quickly. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+beginners+guide&oq=windows+10+beginners+guide&aqs=chrome..69i57.12845j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_yNeqX9aeGY2M1fAPzsKgoAw12

Hope this helps! :)

kukla3

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 01:54:57 PM »
        Reading books will never work if you do not practice. Open Google and simply ask questions that interest you. Besides, you can do much yourself. Just ask Google to give you prompts about turning off updates, unnecessary programs, etc.

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
          Thanks for the way to start.   I came from one site and it was emphasizing to set up a local account at start up, not MS, but I never was asked about that when I turned the pc  on.  What is a local account?   i will access the other suggestions as soon as possible. 

kukla3

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 01:11:19 AM »
            You can buy a paper book in the book store. They say, the information you get from the paper (not from the screen of your device) is remembered better. It will be better to spend 10 bucks (or even less) to know everything about Windows 10.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 06:21:42 AM »
              Over a few or more years I have found the various "For Dummies" manuals put on the market to be excellent manuals for all sorts of things related to this industry and I just went and checked and they have a third edition out for Win10 and it seems to also focus on the senior folks of the Net citizenry.

I believe this is the proper website for those folks, but if I am in error, please forgive the mistake.  It looks correct.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/windows-10-seniors-dummies-3rd-edition/

And I did a quick check on Amazon's site and they seem to be listing that at about 20 bucks, so that gives you a range of about what it might cost when you go into your local brick-and-mortar style bookstore, if you don't trust Amazon.  I didn't check to see if the "For Dummies" folks sell directly from their site.

But they have garnered a good reputation over the years.