Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to get latest edition of Quickbooks to run on old iMac  (Read 90610 times)

ncs227

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    How to get latest edition of Quickbooks to run on old iMac
    « on: March 22, 2021, 11:32:27 PM »
    Hi,

I have an iMac from 2009 running OS X El Capitan (v. 10.11.6). According to Apple, I cannot upgrade the OS any further. I also cannot use any other computer at the moment. I need to be able to use the latest version of Quickbooks Desktop for Mac, but it's not compatible with El Capitan. The Quickbooks support people recommend against buying an old version of Quickbooks (it would need to be the 2016 edition to be compatible with El Capitan). They recommended that I install Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac and then install the latest Quickbooks Desktop for Windows version instead. But I just saw that this newest version of Parallels is not compatible with El Capitan as the host OS. And I cannot seem to find a way to buy the older version of Parallels (version 14) that does work with El Capitan. Does anyone know where I can find it? If not, is there some virtualization application other than Parallels that would work with El Capitan? Or can anything be done using an external drive? Sorry I'm not tech savvy at all...just need to find a way to get the newest version of Quickbooks Desktop (for either Windows or Mac) to run on my iMac which has El Capitan. Thanks.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to get latest edition of Quickbooks to run on old iMac
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
    Any solution is going to cost money.

Parallels running Windows 7 for example, is still using an unsupported windows version and you would need a Win7 license.
    It will be cheaper in the long run to get a later or new mac. Or a Windows 10 computer
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Gizmo

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: How to get latest edition of Quickbooks to run on old iMac
      « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
      I looked on the Quickbooks website, it says there about  the windows version: QuickBooks Desktop 2021 requires you to use Windows natively and not through an emulator or virtual environment.

I found that you can install Catalina if you patch it, watch the video on this website: (I cannot say myself if this has any drawbacks, I have never owned any Mac's, only used a couple)

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/