Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FTP Server: Cannot Connect  (Read 3164 times)

imrolii

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    FTP Server: Cannot Connect
    « on: November 21, 2020, 07:02:24 AM »
    Hello all,

My mate Alex has an FTP server setup at his house. It is all set up how it should be, however I cannot connect using either the private or public IP. The server is set up in IIS, and Alex lives about 200 miles away from me so there is no way to be able to go down to his and my only form of communication is via the phone.

I've tried in cmd, file explorer, chrome and iexplore but have had no luck.

Every time I try and connect, I get the errors attatched.

Any help?  :P

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: FTP Server: Cannot Connect
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
    Last time I had a FTP Server my ISP did a port block for FTP and I ended up having to set it up to run on a non traditional port in order to get around my ISP's FTP Port blocking. Have you tried to set up the service to run on a port like 7777 instead of port 21 which might not be blocked. You will have to set up port forwarding on the router to allow for the traffic to pass through to the system that is hosting the FTP service. Additionally whomever connects to the FTP needs to specify the IP: Port Number to connect to it at a different port number otherwise whatever means your using to connect via FTP will default to port 21. Firewall exception also would be required to allow traffic on the port.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: FTP Server: Cannot Connect
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
    I think he needs to get the proper FTP address on the other end alond with you suggested Dave...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "