Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ethernet cable damage  (Read 6815 times)

sebastiondarcy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    ethernet cable damage
    « on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
    I have/had a wired network but builders damaged it.  Replacing the cable is the preferred answer but not possible.

I have tried a cable tester and it shows 2 and 6 are open circuits and the other six are showing good.

Since the ethernet signals only use 1,2,3,and 6, it seemed a good idea to switch 2 and 6 to 7and 8 on input and back again. I creaed two patch cables to achieve this.  However it did not work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ngc2392

Beginner

Re: ethernet cable damage
      « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:57:15 AM »
      Well, you could try with powerline adapters? If that's an option?

sebastiondarcy

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 03:45:45 AM »
        It is a thought, I have a Power Line link set up to provide network access to a pair of TiVo boxes.  Only needs occaisional use so good enough.

The wired network is for streamimg tv.  I tried the PWL but the buffering was quite bad and not at all acceptable.

ngc2392

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 02:49:58 AM »
          well, it all depends on the model you are using...in my experience the 600+ model should do the job. Another problem is location of the powerline adaptors, if they are not on the same phase, if they are not plugged in the wall directly etc. Sometimes one need a little bit of testing location for a pair to work as they should. Just saying...