Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up a dual boot system  (Read 56918 times)

Ravipe

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Setting up a dual boot system
    « on: January 07, 2021, 09:46:54 AM »
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if you could help me with this.

Basically I have 2 hard drives. Hd1 I use for plying media, work, create documents, etc. Hd2 I use only for gaming (it has a frontend application installed which automatically loads all my library).

What I want is for my system to ask me which drive I'd like to boot from automatically when I turn on my computer. If nothing is selected in 15s then the system should select automatically Hd1 and proceed with the booting process.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Troncc

Rookie

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Setting up a dual boot system
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
    I'm scared to tell you how to do what you are asking.
    It's not something the average person should be messing with.. and requires some advanced computer knowledge.
    Especially when it comes to Win10 which I have to assume you are using.

So can I steer you into a safer/easier/better way to get the same result.

1. Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Optimized-Controls-Provide-Longevity/dp/B00TZR3E70?th=1
    (Kingwin Hard Drive Power Switch Module)

2. Set your boot order in the bios. "Gaming" drive Hd2 to load 1st. Default drive "Hd1" to load 2nd.
    2b. If you have a hot-swap option in your bios, turn it on as well. But it's not necessary.

3. Install the switch & connect your 'gaming' drive to the Kingwin device.

4. Any time you want to game, just press the 'on' button before you power the system on.

5. Done. And you didn't brick Windows by messing with the bootloader.

---

If you really want to have the boot menu option, start studying here: https://www.boyans.net/
    If at first you don't succeed, try it 1000 other ways..