Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Going Blind and consequences  (Read 44033 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Going Blind and consequences
    « on: February 01, 2021, 03:55:43 AM »
    I've been MIA for a longer time than I can say or remember.

Losing my sight has surprised me in all of the way it effects me.

Passwords maybe one of the most frustrating because if I'm informed that the password I typed in is incorrect I can't read the details of how or why it is wrong. As time goes by things get worse and worse.

I can't even  tell y0ou which version of windows I have on this older PC that I'm using now 2 because I don't remember the easiest way of finding it and if I knew wheree to look I might be able to see with several pairsw of reading glasses and as very large magnifying glass.

So my problems are many and where to start is hard to say except for the reminders i get everyday dialing the wrong phone number or typing in a wrong letter and with the exception of my new iphone where I have IT remembere my passwords I can't sign in to most necessary places that I've become dependent on over years.

Besides wanting to know the easiest way to find which OS i'm using I want to know if a flash drive that I set up as a passkey can be used for more than one password. If not I overwrote what it was originally made for.

I can't sewe anything that I typed and i'm counting on the beleif that onc3 my hands are in a particular polace the my muscel memory is for the most part typing the words I want to say but a few times I have been told that there isn't a word that mnakes sense

I hope that is not the case now.

Thanks!

and if you have any suggestions for setting up my laptop to help me see things better please share those ideas with me
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Going Blind and consequences
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:23:11 AM »
    Do you use the features that are built-in to Windows to help with sight impairment such as Narrator and Magnifier?  You mentioned using reading glasses or a magnifying glass so maybe the Magnifier app will help. 

The shortcut for Magnifier is to press and hold the Windows key and then press the + key.  To turn it off, press and hold the Windows key and then press Esc.

To invoke Narrator press and hold the Windows key and the Ctrl key and then the Enter key.  The same key combination will turn it off.  Use the key combination of Windows and Ctrl and N to access the Narrator settings.

These are just what is built into Windows, there are 3rd party apps as well.

I think the quickest way to find the version of Windows would be to press the Windows key and then type winver and Enter.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:20:54 AM »
      Thanks Strollin.

I remembered the magnifier from the old days when I tried everything and followed your instruction again this time and got the mag to come up and yes it works but I recall what I didn't like about it but beggers can't be choosers so I will use it when i must. I haven't tried narrator yet, that's next.

I also followed you instructionsw to find out that this PC is WIN 7 Home Can you explain why certain windows are not COPIABLE ? It seems that at one time any text on my scene was copy able which I was going to do and paste here since it seemed to contain the version info which has been some time since I have updated.

I;m not sure if I'm committing a version of ripping off my own first thread and should in fact launch a new threadt but besides being subjected to Covid as we all are, and my sudden vision impairment, I;m struggling with the Veterans Adminiastration who seems to not know what the last president did for veterans no matter what your political leanings are. It seems that he made two major changes to what was known as Care in the Community which would allow me to get help closer to home and to even get a ride if I don't want to push the envelope and drive impaired or as I call it " Driving by Braile. Songs risky and Im sure there are possible consequences but what I can see gives me the feeling that I can drive " around town " ( places that are familiar to me. I can see tail light, traffic lights and vehicles and I can judge distances so I drive safely so I can go food shoping or to the post office to get gas or go to the bank. I can not read signs or licence plates.
      But along with the bad timingt to have all of these health issue happening all at once I have serious phone issues and computer password issues. I made jump drives for most computers when I set them up but finding the right one for the right computer is another story. Like this PC I hadn't used it in so long the default wifi name wasw my neighbois who let me use his until I got another mess straigtened out with the cable company. So choosing Mine instead of his was easy typing in the password was a problem but now that I'm in it is remembered.
      But my newest laptop which is now about three years old went about a whole year without use do to a short trip thatr tuned into a year trip. When I started that PC i got a warning in the lower right corner telling me that some things were out of date and sadly I needed to sign in to my MS account which had an outook address. But what I thought the password was was wrong OR what happens a lot I OFTEN type a wrong letter, I tried forgot password which is when the real insanity started. MS wanted to send me a code to the cell phone number that I've had for 20 years.Every desktop and laptop I have evere registered used that phone number because it had a 20 year hisstory. But July 7th that phone stopped getting texts. I was told that the flip phone was old texnology so I needed a new phone. I get a new phone but TMobile wants to send me a text with a 6 digit pin number. It's very much like telling someone im vision impaired so they direct me to a webpage that I can read. It took 4 months to finally talk TMoble into sending me the 6 digit pin to my email address. But now that that's been done i still do not get texts on the new phone.
      But MS may be worse yet the have a department fo9r handicapped people but it doesn't take phone calls until 10 AM east coast time and when I finally reach them the have foreigners who argue that they speak english but they do not understand culture also meaning that they doi not understand complex problems and they do not have a way of switching us to a use based tech person nor do the have supervisors. So Every PC that I own and can;t recall the PW is useless mostly because they insist on se3nding me a pin via text. BTW I get an email almost immediuately when I try to get the pin that someone is trying to access my account. I asked them to send the code to email and they tell me that I do not have an email account associated with that computer.

If anyone can advise me on how I might get a pin number a password reset or a good lawyer that I can use to sue MS please let me know or I'll need to buy a new computer and this time it will be a MAC.

Sorry to bore everyone with details but i have no idea how to explain the perdicament.

Much Thanks!
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:00:54 PM »
      Hi I am sorry to hear about your loss of sight. There is many ideas which come to mind depending on how bad your sight is. There is the option of using a large TV as the monitor or a data projector for a whole wall screen.
      Units like this https://www.everydaysight.com/portable-electronic-magnifiers/
      to help in reading small print

To use the keyboard there is normally quick keys for internet email and music control. Perhaps a  password program to automatically type passwords.

Also perhaps consider using google android. Android seems to have all the tools built in for sight impaired users. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:36:21 AM »
        yhanks Lisa Maree

I appreciate ALL of the help from the computer hope group.  If the VA helped as much I might get my sight back but the kiss of death is when after several refferals one doc says my vision is perfect and another doctor enters into you records that " it's all in his head" then anyone who reads the records thinks that one is a hypochondriac and then they ignore you .

I found out that this old laptop is windows 7.

I'm trying to get help to visit 2 days a week. It would be great if I can find a person who knows enough about computers. Part of the problem of losing my vision is that there must be an unknown number of ways to lose ones vision As an artist in an odd way going blind has helped me to appreciate all of the ways and levels that I saw bwfore this happened. I don't know if I can name all of the individual specifics of how amazing it is. For instance I have a phone charger that plugs into a micro or a mini USB just like most android cell phones, I dropped a new SE iPhone onto the charger but at some point the light turned RED so the charder was close by but I could find the female side and even though I could feel it, I couldn't see it the nuance of how to insert the male end. It took me 20 minutes or so to get it done. Im thinking that if I recall there is a place that says " mirror " which wirelessly connects the computer to the TV. I've done it with my tablet but not a computer. This old OS 7 does have an HDMI port but for me to find a cable and access the back of the 55 inch Samsung is more than I think I can do with out possibly knocking things over or falling. So I'll wait for help.

Mean while I had a new laptop that I purchased for a neighbor girl who wound up moving before I gave it to her so now my attention is attempting to set it up so I have an OS 10 computer and hopefully can set it up from the gitgo to memorize passwords.

Anyway, enough of my soap opera.

Thanks again yo all.

Krypto Out!